Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Two things finished!

Today, first of all,  I'd like to say thankyou to everyone who has been in touch, both through the comments and otherwise.   We're still feeling a bit stunned here, but I think we're heading back towards normal again.  My husband is still extremely tired, but he is doing well.


I have finished two things over the last couple of days, and they are both for other people.

The first thing is a little Debbie Bliss baby coat with a hood - you might perhaps  have read about it here - unfortunately the hood had accidentally been knitted on back to front, and some sorting out was required.   This was a real crisis for a new knitter, as you can well imagine.

I suggested picking up stitches below where the hood was joined to the front, and also above, just to be on the safe side.  Then it would be possible to snip a single stitch in the middle of the join and unpick out to each side, and so separate the hood from the two fronts.  After that, turning the hood round the right way, and grafting it back in place, taking care to keep the pattern correct.


Jannette would normally have done this herself but unfortunately had hurt her hand.  So between them, she and her customer decided to send it to me for sorting out and finishing.  I was happy to be able to help.


It all worked out beautifully, and I'm very pleased to have been able to post this back to its rightful owner.


Now the second thing!  I am rather pleased about this, too.


I have finished Alison Crowther-Smith's Colourwash Mobius Cowl, and it is just so gorgeous.   As usual my pictures don't do it justice at all.


Alison's colourwash technique produces a gentle shaded colour shift, very subtle and beautiful.  The colours here are Dewberry, Majestic, and Shadow - this takes the colour from a soft true purple, through a greyed lilac, to a pearly pale Ashes of Roses.....


The edge is finished with a soft ruffle - and that in turn is finished with a fluffy cast-off, which really does add the finishing touch.


The construction is a Mobius strip, worked all in one piece.  It is great fun to knit, I can tell you, and it is fascinating watching the fabric grow, forming this wonderful shape.    This is the first time I've made one of these, but I am sure it won't be the last.

Now, back to the Beaded Boa....  I'm having a lot of fun here!

1 comment:

Mairead said...

Good to hear your husband is on the mend!

I have knitted two mobiuses (mobii?) in the past few months and love knitting them! Its just magical the way the fabric grows from the centre out. I love your KSH one, so may well add that to my queue...