Saturday, 16 February 2013

Life is precious

On Thursday evening - goodness, I posted on here earlier that day, it feels as if that was about a week ago - that evening, my husband had what turned out to be a TIA, sort of a mini-stroke.  Fortunately I was with him when it happened, and was able to call for help.  The ambulance arrived very quickly and took him off to the local hospital, where luckily there is a Stroke Unit.  He is now home and although extremely tired, he is basically all back to normal again.

It was not like the thing that we've all seen so much on the television recently - FAST - about how to recognise a stroke happening.  No face dropping on one side, no problems smiling or raising arms, no speech problems, not at that point.  There was one half closed eye, that was all.   I noticed this and started asking questions, which is how I know about there being no problems with those other things.  One eye half closed, that was all.  Then - feeling sick (not that I knew this at the time as he was unable to speak by now, but I didn't know that at the time either), and then being sick.  After that it all got a whole lot worse, very fast indeed.  To be honest I was not absolutely sure what was going on but I just grabbed the phone.

Anyway, thanks to the NHS, all is well.

There has been no knitting progress whatsoever.

I did work on the Beaded Boa for about half an hour on Thursday evening - I was put in a waiting room whilst my husband was off having various scans, and there is nothing quite like knitting to distract one from stressful situations.   But after about twenty minutes I discovered that I'd made a mistake on the row before - not really surprising in the circumstances, I suppose - and had to unpick back to that point.  So I got it all straight again, and then I was called back in.

Yesterday is just a sort of haze.  I had not really slept the night before - perhaps three hours? - and I had far too much coffee to compensate.   Poor little Jess spent the day trying to stay as close to me as possible, and at the same time watch the front door in case Steve reappeared.  She disapproves of one of us being absent at the best of times, and the events of Thursday evening had clearly upset her considerably.

Today we've been talking a lot.

And tomorrow I plan to knit.

6 comments:

Heather said...

That all sounds horribly frightening :-( I hope he is starting to feel a bit better now, and you are both able to catch up on some sleep.

Anonymous said...

Wishing Steve better, how good that you were there and able to call for assistance straight away. Our pooches really do know when something's up don't they! Have a nice knitting day and hope Steve starts to feel himself very soon x
(terdotty)

Sel and Poivre said...

Thank you so much for sharing this important information! 'So glad and relieved to hear all is well now!

Up The Garden Path said...

I wish you both all the best. Live, precious indeed.

Mairead said...

How scary for both of you! Wishing Steve a speedy recovery and a speedy return to yours and Jess' equilibrium.

Joan said...

I'm thinking of you both, and glad that you're in the "sigh of relief" stage...