Monday, 3 December 2012

Panic

I think that I am now about two-thirds of the way through Thing A, and I am still loving this knitting.  I do wish I could say more about it - the fabric!  the yarn!  the pattern! - all are equally gorgeous, and there is so much that I could say -  but I must not.  

There was, however, a moment of distinct panic at the weekend.

When I first looked through the pattern, I made mental note that the yarn quantity said 7 for the size that I was to make.  So I've been going by that, and telling myself that I'm a certain percentage of the way through, and knowing how many days I had been working it it, was able to feel reassured that all would be finished in good time.  I like having little targets, and being able to mentally tick them off when completed.

There is, you see, a degree of time pressure here.  I had exactly three weeks to make this Thing - the yarn arrived about midday on Thursday 22 November, and the finished Thing has to be back with Rowan by Friday 14 December, so I have to post it the day before, Thursday 13th.  So that is three weeks precisely, and not a single day more.

And then I happened to look again at the yarn requirements, and was horrified to see that it most certainly did not say 7.  It said ? - I had misread it.

This was very disconcerting, to say the least.  All my little landmarks had been wrong - well, possibly.  But then I stopped and thought, and looked at what I had done so far, and realised that no matter what the yarn requirements might be, I was still very much on track.

I think that 7 is still going to be correct - perhaps 8, I shall see.  Either way, I hope to be posting this off to Rowan at the beginning of next week.

But perhaps it is a good thing that I've got some new glasses now....

1 comment:

Anne Featonby said...

I'm amazed that you can make me laugh....while writing about basically nothing....thank you!