Sunday, 7 October 2012

210 metres

I finished my Black Hyacinth scarf yesterday.



This has only been worked on whilst I have been a car passenger, so it has taken a while.  Yesterday there was a fair amount of time in the car, and mostly I worked on the Secret Thing - but then I needed more beads, and it just isn't sensible to thread beads in a moving car.  So that went back in the project bag, and the scarf came out of the glove compartment instead.

The pattern for the Hyacinth Scarf is from Knitting with the Color Guys, by Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably.  It is a very simple pattern - the yarn does the work.  I used a ball of Kaffe Fassett's Design Line sock yarn, in Anthracite, together with a ball of Kidsilk Haze in Wicked, which is black.   Hence, of course, Black Hyacinth.

There is just one thing, though.  Both of these balls of yarn are supposed to be 210 metres, or thereabouts.  But the sock yarn turned out to have much less length than the Kidsilk Haze - I started another ball of sock yarn to finish off the KSH, and I used 9 grams of the 50 gram ball.  So I suppose that's an 18% variation in length, which sounds like quite a lot.

However if one of the yarns measures 10 % less, and the other 10 % more than the average of 210 metres, then this difference is well within tolerance.    But if you are making one of these scarves, you might want to just bear this in mind.



I'm going to start another one fairly soon - this one in the colours used by Kaffe in the book.  This is his Design Line sock yarn in Delphinium, and Kidsilk Haze in Smoke.  It will be interesting to see what happens here, with regard to the respective lengths.

No comments: