Sunday, 16 September 2012

Handbag knitting

I've been meaning to post about this for a while - and I don't mean knitting an actual handbag, I mean knitting that lives in my handbag.

Projects like this tend to grow very slowly, because I only work on them while I am a car passenger, or while I am in a waiting room of some sort.  At the moment I have two handbag knitting projects, one of them is a sock for myself, and the other is this.


This is my version of the Hyacinth Scarf from Kaffe Fassett's most recent book, Knitting with the Color Guys.

It is a very simple thing, but I am enjoying it very much.  This is a very straightforward garter stitch scarf, worked on the bias, with one strand of Kaffe's sock yarn and one strand of Kidsilk Haze held together.  The idea is that the Kidsilk Haze softens the colours of the sock yarn and produces a sort of glaze of colour.

(The marker is to remind me which side of the fabric to do the shaping.)

Here, I am using Anthracite from KF's Design Line, and Kidsilk Haze in Wicked, which is of course just plain black.  And this works really well.  All the colours in the sock yarn are deepened, and the contrasts are softened and blurred.  The fabric is lovely and soft, of course, and the lengths of the two yarns are pretty much identical so there will be minimal leftovers, if any.


The colours here are a little bleached out, but you can see the subtle blend of colours produced by this combination.

I keep thinking about other colour possibilities.  But perhaps I need to be just a little careful, this pattern could easily become addictive.


No comments: