Monday, 26 March 2012

Kidsilk Haze forever...

It is time to recommence regular blogging again, I feel.

Knitting has continued, even though writing has not.  I have altered my husband's grey pullover - despite my optimistic thoughts when I last posted, the pullover turned out to be too long, and the rolled edgings curled rather too much.

So I removed the dark navy edgings, unravelled about three inches of fabric on the body, and used the unravelled yarn to work ribbing at all the hems.  Now it really does work - and also, of course, it is now too warm for thick wool pullovers.

That may not last though, we often have lovely weather around Eastertime and it doesn't necessarily mean that we are going to have a good summer.  So we just enjoy it while it lasts.

The Midwinter Socks are finished.  I started these on December 21st last year, hence the name.  I am very pleased with these, this is an excellent pattern.  The lace has just a nice amount of stretch, and the toe shaping is particularly good and produces a very good fit for me - unusual to find a pattern decreasing 6 sts every other round instead of 4, and I like the result much more than I thought I would.  I intend to use this toe again.

At the moment I have several things on the needles, but am spending quite a lot of my knitting time working on my Earth Stripe Curtain, because I want to have it finished - it has been on the needles for far too long. Ravelry lists just 5 projects for this pattern, and it looks as if I am the only person actually working on the curtain at the moment - and there isn't a finished curtain yet, other than a modified smaller version using a single solid colour.  I have nearly reached the end of the striped section - 184 rows of non-repeating stripes, written out line by line, using a single end of Kidsilk Haze, on 4mm needles.  I am up to Row 160, and I hope to have the remaining stripe rows out of the way as fast as I can.

With more than 300 stitches on the needle, a row takes me 5 minutes - I can't go faster than that with Kidsilk Haze.  I am trying to complete at least 10 rows a day - that takes me about an hour, what with turning things around, changing colours, checking the pattern and so forth.  If I can stick to that, then this huge project could be completed by the end of May.  However I expect that things will slow down when I start the lace section.  And I have two metres of lace fabric to complete.... six hundred rows....

It is a good thing that I like knitting with Kidsilk Haze.

Saturday, 10 March 2012

One out of three

Well, I don't know quite what happened there.   Fresh starts are all very well, but one does have to continue onwards as well.  Hopefully I've got my act together regarding that bit, now.  

First - as several people have asked - I am well.  In fact I'm really well, better than I'd ever have hoped.   So is my lovely husband, and so is Jess.

Second - I have been knitting, and I've actually finished three pullovers so far this year.  Unfortunately I hated one of them and immediately unravelled the whole thing, and used the yarn to knit something else, so I've only got two finished pullovers to show for my efforts - and I'd only class one of those as a success.

My husband's Lima pullover was finished in January.  I have tried several times to take a decent photo of this, and failed dismally.  It is a very, very dark green with overtones of black - and incredibly difficult to photograph.  So, no picture here.

This was a basic raglan pullover, and I made the huge mistake of working it all in one piece.  Don't do this, people - not with Lima, not with a pullover as big as this one.  Lima is lovely yarn, and it makes a fabric that is beautifully soft and luxurious - and stretchy.  So, of course, it stretches, and a garment in this yarn needs seams to give it structure.

Structure can be added, of course - so far I have worked a line of single crochet around the neckline, which has helped a lot, and I shall probably do the same along the raglan shaping lines soon.

Next up was a design from Kate Davies, her Owls pullover.  This is a lovely pattern, very well written, and I positively zoomed through it - using Stylecraft Nature's Way Chunky, by the way, in Herdwick which is a blend of light and dark grey undyed wool, a bargain purchase from Kemps.  And I tried it on, and I hated it.  Fitted chunky pullovers, apparently, just don't work for me.

So I unravelled the whole thing, very annoyed with myself.  And immediately cast on for another pullover for my husband, with the salvaged yarn.

This time I made him a top down raglan, no particular pattern, very simple indeed.   The sleeves and hem are tipped with dark navy Peace Fleece Worsted.   It fits comfortably, it suits the recipient well, and it isn't going to stretch out of shape or misbehave itself in any way, I sincerely hope.

This pullover, finally, works.