Thursday, 8 December 2011

Blake

Here, finally, is Blake.


This pattern is from Kim Hargreaves' recent book, Shadows.  It is written for Rowan Alpaca Chunky - I chose to use Felted Tweed Chunky in 282 Blue Midnight, and I used 20 balls of this.


Alpaca Chunky and Felted Tweed Chunky very conveniently work up at exactly the same gauge, the only difference is that Alpaca Chunky needs 10mm needles and Felted Tweed Chunky needs 8mm ones - and apart from using different size needles, the only alteration that I made to the pattern was to add some length to the body.  If I hadn't done this, the sleeves and the body would have been just about the same length, and I don't think that would have been a flattering look with this pullover, not for me at any rate.


I made size 38, and used spliced joins throughout, so the only ends to weave in were at the beginning and end of each pattern piece.   The pattern is of course very well written, and I found no errors.  The finishing details are lovely, even though this is a chunky knit  Kim still pays attention to all the little things.


This would be absolutely gorgeous worked in the recommended yarn, Alpaca Chunky - thick and soft and luxurious.  In this yarn, it is of course not so luxurious - still lovely, though.

It is a lovely warm garment, very comfortable to wear and ideal for throwing on over a long sleeved top - I've worn it already, and when the weather gets colder again it will be getting plenty of use, I am sure.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I really like the pattern - very simple but elegant. :-)

Faeryfay said...

Just gorgeous! Looks lovely and soft!

Jules said...

It's great! Just the perfect cosy thing to wear this time of year.