Monday, 5 September 2011

Changing my mind...

I've completed very few projects with cables over recent years - the way it usually goes is that I fall out of love with the garment before I've finished the first pattern piece, I pull it all back, and rework the yarn in a different pattern.

It looks like this is happening again.....


I am almost up to the shoulderline of Truffle, from Rowan Classic Summer Delights, and I'm just not loving this.  I don't know why - it is a perfectly nice pattern, pleasant to knit and of course the cable pattern is very easily memorised.   The finished garment would be like this -


When I started knitting this, it seemed like exactly what I wanted.  But now I'm thinking I want texture instead of cables, and a higher neckline instead of a deep v-neck.

In my head, I'm planning a pullover similar to Kim Hargreaves' pattern Navigator from Rowan 29, but with more length, and with texture - a stitch pattern along the lines of the one used in St Mawes, from Rowan 39.   My Grey Navigator is worn a lot - the pattern would be rather different worked in this Cotton Jeans yarn, which has more weight to it even though it works up at the same tension, but the stitch pattern of St Mawes would add stability - I think this would be a good combination.

And also, it would be more flattering to wear, which should not be ignored.  In fact, I think that is the decider.  I have just made up my mind.  What was I thinking?  A deep v neckline, on someone my shape?

I haven't pulled back the knitting yet.  Later this morning, though.

1 comment:

Terri(terdotty on rav) said...

Oh, what a shame! But sometimes frogging just has to happen. I still have three pieces of a jumper knitted in DBliss alpaca silk, which I had thought would be a good sub for cotton chenille (??) I do like to think that I've learnt a bit since then...