Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Baymouth

I finished Baymouth over the weekend, and it has turned out to be very successful.


I made quite a lot of modifications to this pattern.  First, I worked on smaller needles to produce a firmer tension - 4.5mm needles instead of 5mm, and working at 18 sts to 4" instead of 17 sts.  I much prefer the fabric like this, it is only a small change but it seems to make a noticeable difference. 


Next, I shortened it.  I wasn't after a tunic, just a pullover with a good amount of length - so I took it up by 5".  And I also shortened the vents, 4" seemed as if it would be sensible.  The long vents in the pattern meant that it would be easy to access the pockets in my jeans without having to hitch up the pullover, but as I was planning to add pockets anyway, there was no reason to keep the long vents. 

I like the fold up cuffs, and kept that unchanged.  If I fold them up, I have three quarter length sleeves - if I leave them down, I have full length sleeves.  Very useful.


Then I added pockets, once everything else was finished.  I've taught this technique many times, but this is the first time I've actually used it on a garment for myself.  First there is the decision of where to put the pockets and how big to make them - this is very easy, once you've worn the garment for a little while.  


After that, there is the snipping of a single stitch  - just one - right in the middle of where you want the top of the pocket to be.  My husband was fairly horrified by this - 'You're cutting your knitting!?  Why are you doing that?'   Heh.  


Next, there is unravelling across to the markers for the side points, and putting the newly released live stitches on to needles.  Very easy.  


Different size needles there.  4.5mm for the top stitches, which are knitted downward, as the body fabric.  And 4mm for the bottom stitches, which are  worked upward to form a garter stitch band.


The knitting of the band and the pocket goes very quickly.  Then the garter band is stitched neatly to the body at each side, the pocket inner is grafted (hopefully) invisibly to the inside of the garment, just above the lower garter band, and the sides are slip stitched into place as neatly as possible.  


And there's the pocket.  I made two, of course.

So in summary - this is Baymouth, from Rowan Cotton Classics, a design from Martin Story.  I followed the directions for size L, working with a firmer gauge using 4.5mm needles instead of 5mm, to produce size M.  I put some increases along the sides of the sleeves to adjust for my gauge difference so that the sleeve fit into the armhole neatly; I shortened the overall length, reduced the length of the vents, and finally added afterthought pockets.

I used 14 balls of Rowan All Seasons Cotton in one of the printed colourways, long discontinued.  This is grey printed on ecru, I think it was perhaps called Cloud.

Overall I'm really pleased with this pullover, it is being worn a lot and it is very comfortable.  My husband has christened it the Mad Hippy Woman Pullover, and says it looks good.


I've cast on for something else already, of course - two somethings as it happens.   Also, something by the way of paid knitting work ought to be arriving in the post today - a rather lovely something.  More on this, anon.


No comments: