Monday, 25 July 2011


I finished this rather nice pullover a while ago, but I haven't written about it here yet. So here we are, despite the fact that Blogger still won't let me move pictures around.

I must be doing something wrong, but I haven't yet worked out what it is. At the moment I have to upload pictures in the reverse of the order in which I want them to appear, and then put the text around them. If I decide that I want to add another picture, then I have to upload the whole lot all over again, rather tedious. Any advice would be welcome.

Anyway, here is Victor(ia).

The pattern is Victor, from Kim Hargreaves' book Touching Elegance. What I was after here was a big soft warm loose pullover, which nonetheless fit in a flattering way, and I think I've got exactly what I wanted.

This was made using Felted Tweed Aran, which is just lovely to work with. It feels like the nicest of woolly yarns, and beautifully soft to the hand. The colour I chose was 729 Soot, and I used 13 balls.

I chose to follow the directions for size 40", and altered the pattern to narrow the shoulders, because this was for me and I don't have man-sized shoulders. I had to alter the sleeve caps to correspond to this of course, all pretty straightforward really, and I think it has come out rather well. The shoulder line and the fit of the sleeve into the body all look fine to me.

This pattern is full of lovely details, all rather subtle. But the star is definitely the lovely fabric that Felted Tweed Aran produces. I'm very pleased with the finished garment.

On the current knitting front, I still haven't finished Baymouth. Well, I did finish the knitting, but when I began to fit the sleeves to the body, I decided that some alterations were needed. I needed to add a little width to the top of the sleeve, to take account of my altered tension, and also I had knitted the second sleeve rather more firmly than I should have, and it had made a difference to the sizing which I could not ignore.

So I unravelled the whole of one sleeve, and two thirds of the other one, and I've been reworking them at the right (and hopefully consistent) tension, with a couple of increases each side. Only a small alteration there, but I think that it will make an important difference to the finish.

Right now I've nearly finished the second sleeve for the second time. I want this finished! - it would be getting worn, if it were.

I am still thinking about afterthought pockets, and it looks as if I will have enough yarn to do this. So I shall finish the whole thing, and then we'll have a go at that. I've taught this technique many times, but I've never actually had occasion to use it in my own knitting, so I suppose this will be a first, in a way.

Soon, I hope.

Saturday, 9 July 2011

At last!

I finished the Moroccan Tile Bedcover. It took me nearly three months, and a lot of Rowan Cotton Glace and a lot of beads too.

It is going to be absolutely stunning when it is assembled. I look forward to seeing it when the designer - Jane Crowfoot - has finished it.

I will just post one picture here, a close up of one of the lovely beaded blocks, unblocked, just as it came off the needles. Blogger is giving me a hard time with posting pictures at the moment, it won't let me move them around using cut and paste, I have no idea why. So I hope this comes out in the right place.

Anyway, it is a pretty, pretty thing. Heavy, with all the beads, and such lovely rich colours.

I seem to have forgotten how to blog, in the meantime.

What else - I am working now on Baymouth, using some Rowan All Seasons Cotton in one of the old printed colours, this one is a random mix of grey and off-white. I think it may have been called Cloud? - could be wrong there.

However - a nice straightforward pattern, a long tunic sweater with little vents at the side seams and garter stitch edgings. I have altered the pattern to make the whole thing shorter - it would have been too long on me otherwise - and to make the vents shorter as well, just 10cm will do very well for me. I shall add afterthought pockets if it turns out that I have sufficient yarn.

The Spey Valley socks have been frogged. I tried them on, they were too tight around the ankle. Instead, I am using the yarn to make another pair of socks for my husband. It is quite a while since I made him any socks, so high time I got on with it.

Oh, and I finished seaming Victor(ia). I don't think I have mentioned that. It hasn't actually been tried on yet, as it is a warm pullover and although the weather has been unseasonally wet and chilly, it hasn't been chilly enough for me to wear Victor(ia) comfortably.

But I will take a picture, I promise. It is actually rather gorgeous, I love the textural stripes and the depth of colour in this lovely tweedy yarn.

Finally, I had a very pleasant surprise when I opened this month's copy of The Knitter. One of the patterns is a beautiful vest, Salma.

Design, assembly, and crochet by Jane Crowfoot - knitting by me.

Lovely to see my work in print for the first time!