Friday, 18 February 2011

Black Opal

I have finished my second Black Opal.


Once again it is a thing of beauty, and once again it is hard to photograph. Pattern from Kim Hargreaves, to be found in her book Winter Blooms. I used a bit more than 3 balls of Kidsilk Aura - it is perfectly possible to make two of these from 7 balls, as this is what I have just done.

I am very pleased with it, and have every intention of keeping this one for myself.


I am continuing with Victor(ia), at the moment I am just coming up to the armhole shaping on the back. The fabric with Felted Tweed Aran is exactly what you'd expect - soft, dense, and drapy. Really rather nice.


Today I have every intention of starting my Mystery Blanket. This is from Debbie Abrahams, you get a packet of yarn and beads every month, together with the patterns for the next four or five squares plus piecing instructions. I am rather behind-hand with this, there have been two mailings and I haven't even opened the first packet yet.

However the yarns are lovely, and the patterns look interesting and varied.

This is the first mailing - three shades of Revive, five shades of Cotton Glace, and four different colours of beads.

And here is the second mailing - two colours of Revive, four colours of Cotton Glace, some Lenpur Linen in a lovely turquoise, and some Amy Butler Belle Organic DK in deep blue. Plus there are some more beads in there somewhere as well.

You can see why I am looking forward to starting - this is really a lovely mixture of textures and colours. It is also interesting to see the Lenpur Linen, Revive, and the Belle DK - I haven't had my hands on any of these before now. I particularly like the Revive, which looks rather like a DK version of Summer Tweed, but without the hard handle. It is going to be lovely to work with, I can tell.


I have decided what I am going to make from this seasons new Rowan books.

At one point, this pullover was top of my list. Because who doesn't need a classic cotton Aran to pull on, when the summer day is just a little cool?


But I am not going to make Landmark after all, and if you look closely at the picture above, you can see why. That central cable panel is not a cable panel at all, instead it is just knits and purls with cabling at the crossovers only - the cable strands do not travel over the purl background at all. Most unexpected, and I don't think I like it. So that's off the list, for the time being at least.


Baymouth is going to be made using some old All Seasons Cotton, printed with grey on ecru. I think it was called Cloud or something like that. I shall be shortening the body length overall by about 5 inches - making it 28" long rather than 33" - and I shall also be making the side vents not so long - I think something like 8 or 10cm rather than 28cm. I shall probably not turn up the cuffs, either, which means that the sleeves will end up being full length on me. And I shall add two front pockets. Plenty of modifications, but it will still be Baymouth.


Lambrook I loved when I first saw it, this is absolutely my sort of thing. I shall be buying yarn for this one, and I think that I shall probably be making it in the colour illustrated, which is rather unusual for me. What can I say? - I love it.


And finally Jellicoe. This is one which has grown on me. It did catch my eye at first, but the more I look at the pattern, the more I like it. This is made with three colours of Organic Cotton 4ply - brown, blue, and natural - and a slip stitch pattern is used, to produce something akin to linen stitch. Lovely. It would be a timeconsuming knit, but I'd wear it a lot. So this is another one where I am going to buy yarn, and again I think I shall use the colours illustrated, although there are lots of other possibilities.

So there we are, summer knitting.

1 comment:

Kate said...

That Opal is just gorgeous - and that settles my next knitting project. I'm in credit with my LYS, so Kim Hargreaves it is!

(I like your summer knitting projects too, but I must be sensible...)