Friday, 7 January 2011

Hello 2011

I am so behindhand here. How did that happen? - I have no idea. I haven't even done my end of year round-up post, with all of last year's projects. That has become something of a blogging tradition, I can't leave that out. Later, later... I'll get there.

Quick recap. Christmas was absolutely wonderful. I had all three of my children here at the same time - this doesn't happen very often, and it made me very happy indeed.

Between Christmas and the New Year is one of my favourite times of the year - and then we saw the New Year in - and now we are a whole week into the New Year and I hardly seem to have drawn breath.....


Knitting. Well, I still haven't finished Shadowbox.

I have a fairly feeble excuse. I had just finished the shaping and was into the neck section when I discovered that I'd dropped half a stitch - one of my two strands of yarn - all the way back before the beginning of the shaping. Unfortunately it was near the side seam where the shaping had been worked, so there wasn't a clear run of fabric above it, just a couple of inches to the shoulderline - meaning that I couldn't ladder back down to it, and fix it. I could have bodged something, of course - in fact that is definitely what I should have done, but I was feeling so annoyed with myself that I didn't want to do that. So I 'had' to pull the whole thing back all the way to my half-dropped stitch, put it all back on the needle again - and there it stalled.

I have just picked it back up again. I want to be wearing it, and it isn't going to get finished if I just keep looking at it as I walk past.....

Other than that? Not a lot.

I've been reading, though. I can recommend The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, by David Mitchell. Best book I have read for a long time - I think even better than Cloud Atlas. I could hardly put this one down, and towards the end of the book not a lot was getting done around the house.

Also, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, by Alan Bradley. Very entertaining.

No comments: