Tuesday, 16 November 2010

To blog or not to blog

I've been having something of a crise de foi regarding blogging recently. It didn't seem to fit with my life any more, for no identifiable reason. But yesterday, again for no identifiable reason, I found myself wanting to write again.

So I found the camera, and off we go again.

I have finished knitting and seaming the turquoise cotton cardigan for my mother, I still need to block it and stitch on the buttons. I'll take a picture when it is finally done - I am very pleased to be finished with the actual making.

My Felicity hat was frogged, and I have made a Nice Simple Black Hat with the yarn, which was two skeins of black Cashsoft Aran. This is basically Jared Flood's Turn a Square pattern, with a rolled edge instead of ribbing, and it works very well. I added an inch in length to accommodate my large head, and if I made it again, I'd do the whole thing with the smaller needles to make the fabric just that bit more dense.


Anyway, it is a good useful hat.


New onto the needles is Wayfarer. This is another Jared Flood pattern, but I haven't got any appropriately tweedy yarn for this scarf. What I have had for a very long time is some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in a good sappy green, 5 balls to be precise, originally intended for Backyard Leaves. I fell out of love with Backyard Leaves over time, and nothing else took its place. Until, that is, I saw this pattern.


After the endless turquoise cotton, I wanted something interesting to work on, that would be a relatively quick project, using nice soft wool yarn in a colour that I liked. This scarf ticks all the boxes, and I am really enjoying it.

The pattern is basically garter stitch with vertical lines in slip stitch that wander and spread across the scarf in wave-like shapes - very entertaining - and the yarn is so soft to work with, it is a great relief after the turquoise Pegasus cotton.

It is very appropriate to be working on warm accessories at the moment, because the weather is thinking about moving from autumnal to wintry. We've had a storm where it felt as if the roof was going to come off, and torrential rain, and now it is clear and cold and dry, misty in the mornings - classic November weather.


Jess loves it all, and I love walking with her.

3 comments:

Terri(terdotty on rav) said...

Glad you're back blogging! Your knitting tips/projects and lovely pics of Jess are something I look forward to - from a satisfied reader!

Barbara said...

Nice simple hat! I've been looking for a first hat to knit - this might be the one.

+marzipan+ said...

Bit of a lurker here to say that I'm glad that you have decided to continue with your lovely blog!