Monday, 27 September 2010

Detour

I've got sidetracked. A sure-fire way for one of my relatives to get me to knit something for them is very easy - just ask.

My mother-in-law asked if I would make her a cardigan that she saw in a recent Womans Weekly. This was a short sleeved V neck cardi, worked in a fair isle pattern with 4 ply cotton. And she 'wouldn't mind' if it was all one colour. Any colour, except red.

That's quite a wide remit, I think you'll agree. And if I had my choice, I'd make it up in fair isle even though it is worked in cotton - interesting knitting, you see.

The pattern in question is Shades of Summer, designed by Sasha Kagan, and last time I checked it wasn't up on her website yet...... Anyway, borders in celadon green, pattern in two shades of purple, with some pink, acid green, white, and celadon. Rather nice, actually - I wouldn't mind one of these for myself. So I was going to send for the yarn kit and get on with it for her, but my husband suggested that I hold fire and discuss it with his sister - because he thought that his mother really meant that she would prefer it in a solid colour, but if I asked her, she was likely to agree to whatever I suggested, regardless of whether she actually wanted that or nor.

So I asked my sister-in-law, and learnt that if I made the cardi in fair isle, my MIL would love it, and would put it away folded in tissue paper, to keep it 'for best'. And never wear it.

I wasn't too keen on that idea, I'd rather make something that she'd feel able to wear. So we decided that a solid colour was indeed the way to go, and my SIL felt that blue was the best choice. So I found some Patons 4ply cotton on eBay in a good rich blue, and cast on.

And do you know, I can't put it down. I am really loving working with the fine yarn and small needles. It is a while since I've made anything with this sort of fabric (other than socks) and I had forgotten how much I like it. So, no hardship involved, at least.

I've already finished both sleeves and I'm almost up to the shoulder shaping on the back.....

Mythos, of course, remains unfinished. I have completed both halves, I now need to graft the centre back join, work the i-cord edging, and whipstitch the lower hem. It will have to wait!

Photos soon, I promise.


Blogging is going to continue, probably at the current somewhat sporadic rate. (We've both had our respective surgeries, and are both recovering nicely, by the way.)

2 comments:

Helen said...

Thank goodness you had your husband and SIL available to mediate and save you a lot of effort.

Thank goodness you're both recovering nicely too.

Barbara said...

Very wise to do a bit of digging to find out what your recipient _really_ wants. I'm glad you're enjoying 4-ply knitting too - it's the way to go!

Good to hear you're doing well healthwise.