Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Hooray for the NHS

It has been so busy over the last couple of days. I feel as if I've spent most of my time at the hospital, it has just been one thing after another.

However some good things have happened. I still haven't got a date for the surgery, but I have heard that it should be happening sometime in April/May, so not long to wait now.

Yesterday I went to the Stitchlinks knitting group at the Pain Clinic. This was slightly difficult for me, mostly because I was so extremely uncomfortable. Physically, I mean. However Betsan is lovely, everyone was very friendly and it is so nice to know that everyone understands, that no explanations are necessary, because we are all pretty much in the same boat. I will be going back again when the opportunity presents. I'm not able to drive at the moment though, so I'm not sure when that will be.

The best thing happened today.

Finally I had an appointment at the Pain Clinic to start Symptom Management, and I was very impressed - instantly, things are happening! I've got a TENS machine now. (I'm wired up to it right now.) I can try it out for a couple of weeks, and if I find that it helps at all, then I can buy it. I've got lidocaine patches, I've got increased meds, and I've got to get some additional meds from my GP. They are talking about lots of other things that might help, as well.

I really do feel that everything possible is being done. So - thankyou, NHS.

3 comments:

Kate said...

That's good news, Fiona. I do hope you start to feel better soon. I agree that the NHS can be wonderful at times - definitely appreciated them when Rose arrived early! They do get it wrong, but we often just hear the bad stuff. Much love to you.

Linda said...

The pain clinic sound good, I am glad theya re moving quickly with your treatment. The stitch group is a good thing too by th esound of it.

http://leafgreenknits.wordpress.com/

SmashingPuffin said...

That is indeed happy news!