Wednesday, 24 February 2010

Pro tempore

So, it is time I stopped being mysterious. This isn't easy to talk about, but it is what's happening in my life at the moment, and it is - at the moment - a major problem in my life.

Since the gynae surgery at the end of June last year, I've had a problem with pain. For the first few months, I was told that it was just the healing process, and that it would subside, it would just be a matter of time - however, it didn't. Instead, it got worse.

In November last year I was told this was neuropathic pain, and referred to the Pain Clinic. Today I had my first appointment - yes, that was quite a long wait - and I have been referred now to Symptom Management, which is good, and should be helpful. The consultant gave me a little leaflet about this. It says on the front - Chronic Pain Management. And that was a bit of a shock, I can tell you.

In my mind, this has just been a temporary glitch. Just a little blip that's going to settle down and disappear completely. Probably tomorrow, or maybe next week at the latest. Now, from what has been said today, I am trying to come to terms with the fact that it probably isn't going to happen quite like that, and that I do have to accept that this problem is with me for the time being.

I can cope with 'for the time being'. That implies 'not permanent'. I can cope with that.

5 comments:

Philippa said...

So sorry to hear about this Fiona. I will be thinking of you. I hope that it doesn't affect your boating.

Philippa x

margene said...

Hopefully you'll be able to manage your chronic pain with their help. I feel your pain. After years of suffering I'm on a drug that should help. It's only been a couple of days and I hope it works soon!

Martelle said...

Here's hoping that the pain has been with you long enough to be classed as 'chronic' and can now disappear. Really hope that things improve for you soon.

Barbara said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain problem. I asked Google about neuropathic pain and it seems that there's a range of things that can be done, so I hope that you find one that works for you soon.

Linda said...

Oh no. A family member had the same shock when she was handed a chronic pain leaflet. I really do think that they need to re label the term. Best wishes and I am sure they can help with it. x