Friday, 26 February 2010

More on the Back Join.

This morning there is the most glorious sunshine outside - it is blowing a gale, but the sun is shining and it feels as though spring is not far away.

I've cheered up a bit, too. When I was at the Pain Clinic the other day, I spotted a notice on the pinboard near the reception desk. The notice was about Stitchlinks. Knitting and stitching as therapy? - I can go with that. There's a meeting of the knitting group at the Pain Clinic next Tuesday, so I'm going to see if I can get myself along there.

I'm not sure what knitting I'll take - probably just a sock......



I've been working on the Earth Stripe Curtain, and it is starting to look visibly larger. Still got a long way to go, though - this thing is going to be 260 cm in length, eventually. That sounds worse in imperial measure. Shall I say eight and a half feet long? With more than 300 stitches on the needle, worked with a single strand of Kidsilk Haze? No, perhaps I'd better not.


As I was coming to the end of a row, I thought I'd take the opportunity to show you the back join in real life. (Once again, thankyou, Techknitter!)

When I am a few stitches away from the end of the row - 6 stitches, in this case - I stop, and cut my yarn. I leave an end, of course - about twice the width of my Altoids tin. I am bad at estimating lengths, you see, and it helps me to have something to measure against, before I cut the yarn.


Why this length? Because I know that I can work six stitches with a length of yarn equal to one width of the tin.

(And how I know that, is because I worked to the end, marked the place on the yarn by tying a little bit of thread around it, and then unpicked 6 stitches, and looked at how much yarn those stitches had used. This only needs to be done once, and considering the number of colour changes in this curtain, it is eminently worthwhile.)

Ok, so the yarn is cut, leaving a appropriately sized end of yarn.

Now the new colour is simply looped through.


As simple as that.

And now, I knit on with the end of the dark yarn - which is doubled, now.


Not the easiest thing in the world to photograph, with Kidsilk Haze trying to slide off the needle.

But you can see, I hope, what is happening. The last few stitches on the RH needle have been worked with the doubled end of yarn.

And when I get to the end of the row, the dark yarn is all used up, and the connection with the new yarn is exactly where it needs to be - right at the end of the row.


(This was completely impossible to see without a dark background, hence the tablemat.)

After this, I start the new row, using the new yarn, which will be doubled for a few stitches. And that's it. Kidsilk Haze is the perfect yarn for this join, as it is so grabby.

There will be no weaving in of ends at all, in the whole length of the curtain.

This is A Very Good Thing.

8 comments:

Experimental Knitter said...

Thanks for a nice pictoral display of the back join. How long is your Altoids box (in or cm is fine)? They are not easy to find in my part of the US.

Fiona said...

My Altoids tin is 3 3/4" across - about 9.5 cm. That's not really so important, though - it just happened to be the same length as the amount of yarn needed to work half a dozen stitches.

Convenient for me, though, as I am very bad at estimating lengths!

Barb said...

Very cool. It's great to see your photos as I had read about this on Techknit but your pictures really help.

Helen said...

I'm glad you're not feeling so glum, and I hope you get some benefit soon from the Clinic. You've almost got me tempted to knit something stripy in KSH, although I don't think it'll be a curtain.

Jess said...

Ah, Stitchlinks with the lovely Betsan? It'll be great! :)
Hope it helps...

Linda said...

I hope I recall this lovely back join photo illustration when next called upon to switch colors or just add on a new skein. THANK YOU for the pix.--Linda

Jules said...

That's brilliant! Like your Altoids measuring tool, too :o)

Anonymous said...

so grabby! so helpful! thanks for sharing!