Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Tuesday evening

Sometimes I amaze myself. Posting two days in succession hasn't happened very often lately.

I finished the Even More Boring Socks.


Lang Megaboots Stretch again, 2.5mm needles and my usual pattern for socks to fit my husband. Initially I didn't like this yarn - it doesn't have a very firm twist and it has a tendency to split, but despite this I've now decided that it is actually quite nice. It makes a nice soft tweedy fabric, anyway. And my husband likes the socks, and that's what really matters.

I've been trying hard to take some pictures of myself wearing Kaari, but I think I am going to have to give up. The light is not good at this time of year, and I find that I have to steady the camera with both hands if I want the result to actually be in focus -


- and that is still pretty useless, except to show that I did indeed add some length.

But it is a nice pullover, and I am wearing it quite a lot at the moment. I have discovered that it is quite tickly at the neckline - maybe it is the alpaca? I've had that problem before. Anyway, I tuck a little silk scarf in at the neck, and that solves the problem.

I still haven't cast on for Chamonix, because I am still dithering over the choice of size. This means that I do not have a major project on the needles, which is quite unusual, and because I have finished the Even More Boring socks, I don't have any mindless knitting, either.

This won't do, of course. At the moment I am looking at my bag of Noro Kochoran and thinking about an Einstein Coat, which would solve both issues. However, some swatching is required, I think - the Einstein wants 3.25spi, and the Kochoran likes 4spi. I'll see if I can find a happy medium.

I did block Black Frost yesterday, but I haven't worked the yoke seams yet. Maybe tomorrow.

And in the meantime I have just cast on for some Oliver socks, using some rather old St Ives sock wool, and I am looking forward to working the interesting arch shaping.

Finally, a nice lady emailed me today and asked if I'd consider linking to her article about free knitting patterns online, and I am happy to do so. I did know most of these, but there are a couple of new ones to explore.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Kaari looks so cosy and I love plain socks like those ones. Is the yarn for the socks quite soft?

Got It From My Mama said...

great knits love the socks!