Sunday, 20 December 2009

Sunday evening

I had to miss the Guild meeting yesterday.

My father-in-law has been taken ill, which kind of took priority. He's doing well, and we hope he'll be home for Christmas.

Anyway - the Guild meeting. This is the Wiltshire Guild of Weavers, Spinners & Dyers, and I've been a member since we moved down here two and a bit years ago. We've been meeting in Rode village hall for a while - Rode is actually in Somerset, which I've only just realised.

For a couple of months now, the Guild has been considering a move to some permanent premises in Steeple Ashton, and on Saturday this was finally put to the vote - and it has been agreed!

I think this is a very exciting move. Our permanent base will now be the former St Mary's School in Steeple Ashton - this is a listed building, and the rooms are lovely, with lots of natural light and plenty of space for looms, spinning wheels, and anything else we might want.




Downstairs at the front of the building is the village shop, but we've got all the upstairs, together with some more rooms behind.

We'll be able to have a knitting group, and there will be spinning groups, with courses for all levels - and weaving, and dyeing..... the only limit is our imagination - and, of course, lots of hard work!

We'll even be able to have a dyer's garden. There are so many possibilities!

I am sorry to have missed the meeting, of course, but fortunately my vote (or rather, the lack thereof) was not crucial.


Still no snow here, but it is getting even colder, and there is lots of ice underfoot. Good weather for staying indoors and knitting, if you ask me.

1 comment:

Violetstone said...

This sounds fantastic, how on earth are you affording all this. I wished I lived nearer Wiltshire and could come and visit when it is all done.