Friday, 11 December 2009

Friday morning

Something happened yesterday that was quite disconcerting.

A letter arrived for me, from a company that I'd never heard of. The letter thanked me for my order (?!) and asked me to contact them by telephone.

So I rang them up - I did check first that they were who they purported to be - and they told me that someone giving my name and card details (???!!!) had placed an order with them that came to several hundred pounds, and asked for it to be delivered to an address that was different from the card billing address. When this happens, they have a policy of writing to the cardholder and sending the letter to the billing address, to check that all is as it should be.

Well, I am very glad indeed that they do.

I have no idea how anyone got hold of my card details. It is really quite worrying. But anyway, the card is now blocked, and I have to wait for a new one to arrive.



Now, knitting.

Just a small diversion here. The other day I spotted Julie Weisenberger's new pattern Yvonne, and couldn't resist.

The Kauni cardigan which has been lurking on the needles, unloved, for far too long, has now finally been frogged. There wasn't very much of it, anyway - only a few inches past the edging.

And now I am enjoying knitting this.


Nearly mindless knitting, which is just fine by me at the moment.

Working with Kauni - especially on Addi Turbos - really is a pleasure. I do like yarns with a rustic feel to them, where you know it really is wool - things like Rowan's Scottish Tweed yarns, and Noro Kureyon. This Kauni Effektgarn falls into that category as well. It is quite fine - it feels like fingering weight, but I expect it to bloom and soften with the first wash. And then, of course, there is the colour. Lovely fun.

It did cross my mind to stripe two balls of yarn, but I decided that might possibly be overkill. I'd look like a walking optical illusion, probably. So, no stripes.

I haven't done more than a couple of rows on Chamonix, but I'll get back to it. And the Oliver socks haven't been touched, either - although I will get more done there over the weekend, as we are driving up to see the in-laws (I must remember to take the blue socks and find out whether they fit ) and I will probably be able to knit for most of the journey.

Onward, as they say.....

3 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

same happened to me a few weeks back although they didn't get in touch I just check account regularily. I am almost certain it was from my leaving my details on file at Amazon. The fraud was an order made on Asda for home shopping not me as I nbver use and anyway a different address I presume. I now always delete my card details and log out when I';ve been on Amazon. Several people I know had the same happen and all used amazon

Helen said...

The link to your Kauni Cardi doesn't work: I think it's because there's a /edit on the end.

I hope the blue socks fit :)

Fiona said...

Thankyou Helen - I don't know how that happened, but I think I've fixed it now.

Ambermoggie - very scary....I shall look into it, and thankyou!