Friday, 4 December 2009

Friday evening

It's been a quiet week here. I seem to have spent a quite inordinate amount of time sleeping, and this means that knitting time has been correspondingly reduced.

However, the Oliver socks are ticking along, and I might finish the first one tomorrow.


This is St Ives sock yarn, and I can't remember the name of the colour. It is a tweeded mixture of green and brown, and the yarn is a nice straightforward sock yarn with a sensible amount of twist. It handles nicely, has no tendency to split, and I expect it will end up nice and soft with the first wash, as is usual for sock yarn. I would definitely use this stuff again, if I could remember where I bought it. I do recall that it was cheap.

One thing I have discovered is that these socks will need more then 100 gm of yarn. I don't usually knit man-sized socks on 2.25mm needles, with a 72 stitch cast on. Usually it is a 2.5mm needle, and a 64 stitch cast on. Working with the smaller needles and the bigger stitch count means that one 50gram ball isn't going to be enough, and I shall have to work the toe in a contrast yarn, as the pattern suggests.

I'm not so pleased about this, although my husband says it will be a smart result. I do think that if I'd worked the contrast heel as well (which is what the pattern says to do, and I chose not to) then it would look better. I have a strong suspicion that just working the toes in a different colour succeeds only in making it apparent to all that I've run out of yarn.

Which is, of course, the case. Never mind.

I am enjoying knitting these socks, and my husband says that they look interesting. If they fit him as well as I hope they will, then I have in mind to design some arch-shaped socks in sizes that would fit both myself and my husband - these would only take the usual 100 grams of sock yarn. I do have some more St Ives in a dark red, and I might use that to work out a pattern.

Black Frost remains unseamed and unbordered; the Noro Kochoran remains unswatched. But I'll get there eventually.

1 comment:

tinebeest said...

I only ever knit one pair of St Ives socks- the yarn seems to be discontinued, and I did not know that at the time, nor how lovely it is to knit with. They seem to be holding out rather nicely, too :-)