Saturday, 21 November 2009

Saturday evening

Spinning Guild AGM this morning.

The guild is considering a rather interesting move for next year. There is a listed building in a nearby village, which used to be an infant school, now vacant - the guild is thinking about this as a permanent base, which would be available to members all the time.

Amongst a whole lot of other possibilities - classes, all sorts of different groups, knitting, felting, dyeing - it would also mean that there could be regular spinning bees - I must admit that I do miss the weekly spinning bees of the West Surrey Guild. I do hope that it all comes together.



I meant to post this earlier in the week - I finished Jyri on Wednesday.


Four balls of Patons Jet, on 5mm needles. Pattern by Norah Gaughan, from Berocco's Norah Gaughan Vol 1.

This was fun to knit, and grew surprisingly fast. It is very warm to wear!

There has not been very much progress with Chamonix, because I was struck with sudden indecision as to which size to make. This pullover is supposed to be quite wide and cropped - now, the cropped bit is not something I am so keen on, so I was going to add length to bring it to my 'ideal short sweater length' according to Sally Melville's formula in her most recent book. (This is calculated according to your body proportions and height, and it works. I did lots of measuring, and thinking about what worked in my wardrobe and why - and my conclusion was that Sally has it right. Her formula for sweater lengths is now the gold standard, as far as I am concerned.)

And now I have lost track of what I was saying.... yes, sizing. I suddenly thought that I ought to be making size L, not M. And then I thought that I wouldn't have enough yarn, if I was going to make that size, and add the length I needed - so I stopped.

Currently I've gone back to my original idea - size M, which will be wide but not overly so, and add several inches of length.

However at the moment I am working on something else, because my husband reminded me that I promised my mother in law some socks. At the moment she is unfortunately having a lot of problems with swelling in her feet and ankles, and finding that shop bought socks are very uncomfortable to wear, so I offered to make her a pair that would fit.

I took a measurement around the ankle, and around the ball of the foot. These are going to be very non-standard socks, of course, and I'm having some difficulty visualising that what is coming off my needles is actually going to fit. The decision of how much negative ease to allow was a bit problematic - my first attempt was made with one inch of neg ease, and it looked just enormous. I pulled it back and reworked with more negative ease - roughly 15%. This attempt is looking a bit more possible, but I do wish I could try it on the foot in question. Not possible just yet, though.



On another note, I've been thinking for a while that I might say something here about why I am not yet back up to speed again, after the surgery at the end of June. I've mentioned before that I've been told that I will have to have some more surgery, because some of the mesh is misbehaving and needs to be repaired. At the time I was really disappointed - I'd very much hoped that it was all done and dusted. But I think I've got my head round this now, and I'd really like to just get it over with, as soon as possible.

But that isn't really the main problem. The main problem is pain - and this is hard to talk about. Because we hate making a fuss about things like this, don't we.... we ought to cope, and take things in our stride, and not let things get us down.....

Except that life isn't always quite like that.

Anyway. I've been looking forward to getting back to normal again, but that just hasn't happened. It is a long story and I won't bore you with the details, but it turns out that this is neuropathic pain, that it can't be dealt with easily, and so they've referred me to the Pain Clinic. There is a long waiting list, and I haven't got an appointment yet. In the meantime, they've started me with some medication which is supposed to help - and indeed it does seem to have brought it down a notch or two. However it also makes me very tired, and a bit loopy. Or perhaps I should say a bit more loopy than usual.

So that's why I'm sleeping rather a lot at the moment.

This is your loopy knitting correspondent, signing off for the evening......

3 comments:

Linda said...

Yuk to the pain and loopiness. :(
I hope that pain clinic appointment comes soon. Jyra is lovely.

Helen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the new op. Let's hope they get on with it soon. As somebody who is loopy most of the time, I can tell you that that's why you're having trouble deciding what size of Chamonix to make. I dread finding a pattern that puts me between sizes, because I just know that I'll never be able to decide. Lucky MIL, to have someone to make socks for her not-slim ankles :)

Heather said...

Good luck with the building for spinning guild, that sounds like an excellent idea.

Hope you have some joy with the pain clinic and that things can start to look up soon.