Saturday, 14 November 2009

Saturday evening

Karn is finished.


This was fun to knit, because of the irregularly spaced rows of brioche rib - and quick, too. It is worked flat and seamed - and yes, I know that you can work brioche rib in the round, but it is so simple when worked flat, and I have no problem with a bit of seaming.

This took less than 3 balls of Patons Jet. I worked on 5mm needles, and added an inch to the length, because I have a big head. Ahem.


Kaari is still not finished.

I did finish all the raglan seams, and the sleeve seams as well, and I've been taking my time working the neckline.


I like this. First of all there is a bit of 2x2 ribbing, then you switch to reverse stocking stitch - I worked an inch less than the pattern says - and finally the pattern says cast off loosely, fold to the inside and stitch in place. Awkward thing that I am, I always have to change things - so I grafted the live stitches (purlwise) to the pickup round, on the inside of course. It has worked rather well, if I do say so myself.


It turns out that this is a good neckline for me. I do not have a long elegant neck, it is more along the lines of short and stumpy, so tall necklines make me look as if I either have no neck at all, or alternatively am slowly disappearing inside the pullover in question, a bit like a tortoise retreating into its shell. Basically, not a good look.

Wide necklines, however, work nicely. And this, with its softly rolled edge, is flattering. That is good.

All that is left now is the side seams, which need to incorporate the side edges of the pocket section, of course, and also there is the rest of the seaming to do on the pockets. Daylight is needed for that, so it will have to wait for tomorrow.


I have cast on for Jyri.


That isn't a very useful picture, probably, but you get the idea. Lots of stitches, anyway, and a simple 8 stitch lace pattern with a 12 row repeat.

I do seem to be on something of a Norah Gaughan jag at the moment. I'm looking at Asta now, as well......

However, Chamonix is calling. As soon as I've finished Kaari, I shall cast on. I have resolved that saving the good stuff for some unspecified 'later' is pointless. Knit with it now!

And I do want to try to reduce my queue, as well. Currently it stands at just over 200 items, which is rather a lot. I shall try to make at least one item from each category. That will do to be going on with, and it might even be achievable, too.

Hmmm, that means a Starmore will finally get onto the needles around here. Which one, though?

1 comment:

Linda said...

That hat looks nice. I haven't knitted brioche rib before but like the appearance of it.