Saturday, 28 November 2009

Saturday afternoon

Another week flies by like lightning. I've got just one finished project today. Would have been two, but there was frogging because I found another pattern that I liked better.

First, then, the very non-standard blue socks.


For my mother-in-law, who is having problems with swelling of the feet and ankles, and finds shop-bought socks very uncomfortable to wear. I very much hope that these will fit her comfortably. We'll be going up to visit soon - maybe next week? - and then I'll find out. Once I've sorted out a pattern that fits nicely, then I'll make her a few more pairs.

Just for the record - and also so that there is a note of this somewhere whilst I still remember exactly what I did (!) - these are worked in Opal sock yarn on 2.5mm needles, top down, with a cast on of 78 stitches. 10 rounds of 1x1 ribbing, then 50 rounds of stocking stitch. Heel flap worked in heel stitch over 40 stitches, for 36 rows, then a round heel turn followed by picking up 18 sts each side of the heel flap. Gusset decreases worked every other row down to a stitch count of 64. Foot worked for 60 rounds from where the stitches were picked up along the heel flap, wedge toe worked with decreases every other round down to 28 stitches, then every round down to 16 stitches. Finished with three-needle grafting, 8 stitches from the top of the sock grafted to 8 from the sole.

Now, frogging was mentioned. I had just about finished Asta, using yet more of my incredibly cheap Patons Jet from Kemps, when I spotted First Frost. And I wanted it. And if I frogged Asta, then I'd have enough Jet to make it. So now, I have this to show -


This little waistcoat has a very interesting construction method, as you might guess. What you see there comprises the yoke sections of the two fronts, which are shaped at the shoulders with some short rows. These sections are then joined with a cast-on section in between them, and the back is worked downwards from the shoulders.

The shaping is lovely, although I do have to pay attention. There are things to do at each edge, and also some centre shaping worked at the same time. I've already had to pull back about 20 rows because I discovered that I had worked a decrease where I shouldn't have.

Anyway, fun to knit, because I like this detailed shaping. And the rest looks fun too - the fronts are worked sideways, with stitches picked up along the side edges of the back. And there is a garter stitch edging to finish the whole thing off.

This pattern is written with great attention to detail - I've admired Heidi Kirrmaier's patterns before, she designs using drape and shape to flatter, and that sounds good to me.

Why I wasn't paying attention is also worth mentioning. I like to read whilst I'm knitting, and the book I am currently reading is Sarah Waters' latest title, The Little Stranger, from the local library. (I do love my local library!) And I can't put it down.....

So on that note, I am going to go and find out what happens next. (More frogging if I'm not careful, but that's not what I mean......!)


Except - I nearly forgot. Have you seen this? I think this is the most beautiful use of handspun that I've seen for ages. And that's knitted with singles, which makes me even more in awe. Just lovely.

No comments: