It's been an interesting week.
Last time I was writing, we were partway through rearranging the first floor of the house. Well, the next day we heard from some friends, who were in this part of the country and wanted to drop in and see us at the weekend - and stay for a couple of nights.
Cue mad rush to get the rearranging finished.
We did manage it, and the two rooms now both work really well, and also look really good, we think. I've got more room for my spinning, the stash is better organised, and my husband has more room for his painting. The spare room is better, too - it is still a good sized double room, but it is cosier. It is also quieter - no trains immediately outside the window, as there are at the back of the house.
So, a couple of extremely busy days there, and then a lovely weekend with our friends. We took them out on the boat on Sunday - it was so cold! - and we moored up near a nice pub for lunch. They were interested to explore the Tithe Barn after lunch, and then we turned the boat and made our way back to the marina at the end of the afternoon.
I have done a little knitting, but truly only a little.
The Lang Megaboots socks are finished, but unphotographed. And the Lavender & Lichen pullover is nearly finished as well - maybe. I am just about to complete the last sleeve, but I think I want to add a bit more length to the body, so I'm probably going to pick up stitches all the way around, snip a row and unpick, then knit down for another couple of inches before reworking the ribbing. Or I could graft it back on again, that might be quicker, and it would certainly avoid the lengthy sewn castoff that would otherwise be needed.
But I have been spinning. I am just finishing the last of the chestnut alpaca - I think I've finally got the hang of this stuff.
When I started working on it, I had all sorts of trouble. Alpaca isn't like wool - it has no crimp at all, and it is slippery - I did take a little while to get used to it.
Anyway, I've finished one skein of nice 3 ply yarn which has turned out about worsted weight, and I will get a second skein plied up tomorrow - that's chain plying, by the way, because I didn't divide it up before I started. This way, all the singles get used up, and I like that. I still have to finish both skeins with a bit of a wash, and then I will see how much they soften up - I'm already quite pleased with them, actually. I've heard that alpaca can turn out like wire if you aren't careful, so I was trying very hard to add only as much twist as was needed to hold the singles together, and the plied yarn has turned out nice and squooshy.
I still like the idea of finishing something from each category of my queue, for next year. However it does cross my mind that I ought to give some attention to things that are hibernating...... there are several things that have been on the needles for ages.