Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Tuesday morning

A whole lot of different things have been happening.

We've been on the boat over the weekend, and I have been resting. I have literally not had to do a thing, other than make the odd cup of tea or coffee - the walk down to the mooring is still a bit beyond me, so my husband drove us down there. Not very green of us when it is so close, but there you go.


Working the locks is out of the question for me at the moment, of course. My role is reduced to sitting in the front well and keeping Lucy company, and when people look askance at my not helping - because people do - I don't mind telling them that I'm recently out of hospital and not allowed to do anything.

I'm not even doing any helming.

My consultant at Bath tells me that the Australian surgeon who did the op has a standard response, when people ask him if they can do such-and-such during the post-op period. He hands them one of his business cards, and says, Mrs so-and-so, the answer to all your questions is on the back of this card. They take the card and turn it over - on the back there is a single word, written in block capitals - NO.

But it isn't really an issue, as my husband likes working the boat singlehanded.


I have come back unaccountably exhausted - all that fresh air? - but feeling that I have had a real break.



I've been knitting. Both sleeves are now finished, as well as the back, and the front is on the needles. I'm just past the ribbing, that's all. No picture there - more green knitting. Peace Fleece is nice to work with, as I think I may perhaps have mentioned before.

I've also started to pull back the Trapeze Tank, because I want to use the yarn to make Glad. This is not an easy job, because the tank was knitted with the yarn held double, and of course there are two ends of yarn to wind up, and I seem to have twisted them together as I worked. So I've got a fairly Heath Robinson-ish arrangement with one strand going directly to the ball winder, and the other strand being wound up on the swift. It is very slow work, with all the twisting to deal with.


What else - our tomatoes have tomato blight. I'd like to say 'have had', but that might be tempting fate slightly.

This year is the first time we've tried growing vegetables, and we've been learning as we go along. And now we are learning about tomato blight, which we didn't know even existed until we went looking on the net. The prime time for it is the end of July and early August, and it is a fungus that likes damp cool weather - so that fits precisely, and apparently there is a lot of it around this year.

There is absolutely no way I'm posting a photo of it, because it was nasty, and anyway we've disposed of it. We've lost one whole plant, and a whole lot of bits and pieces from the other plants - we started with twelve plants, four each of three different varieties, which we have grown from seed.

Up til now our first foray into vegetable gardening has all seemed very successful and straightforward, apart from the ongoing battle with the slugs, who it seems like to eat tomatoes and peppers just as much as we do. The nematodes do work beautifully, but you absolutely have to top them up every six weeks. If you forget, then the slugs all reappear. Feel free to guess how we know this.....

Anyway, we've now doused all the tomato plants with Bordeaux mixture, which apparently is what you need to do. It is approved for organic use, but it is a rather startling blue colour and the remaining tomato plants are now looking more than a little bit odd, with blue stuff all over them. However, we are very much hoping that we've managed to stop the blight from spreading any further, and that the fruit still on the plants will survive to ripen and be eaten - because these tomatoes are good. Fresh from the garden, warm from the sun - washed first, and thoroughly too, because of the Bordeaux mixture, organic or not - they taste very good indeed.


Lucy is doing quite well at the moment, and she was so happy to be on the boat again, which she loves. She is still very tired, but the medication is definitely helping her, and she is showing a better appetite than we've seen for a while. This is good. Also good is the fact that we've found a place online where we can buy the (expensive) medication she needs for about half the cost of what it would be at the local veterinary surgery, and that's taking account of the charge for the prescription from the vet, as well.


And, somewhat embarrassingly, I've just realised the identity of that friendly lady with the shih tzu, with whom I was chatting the other day when I collected Lucy from the groomer. I thought at the time that I knew her from somewhere, but I couldn't think where. I don't forget faces, but I am terrible at remembering names, and helpful things like whether I actually do know a person or whether I just recognise them.

I'd have kinneared her if a) I'd realised who she was in the first place and b) I had my camera.

But I didn't.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Your surgeon sounds like a wise man :)

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with Glad. I peer at it in Ravelry a lot but wonder how I would get on with all that fluffy stocking stitch.

Joan said...

Glad to hear that your break did you good. The lady with the shi tzu was probably thrilled that you treated her like a normal person rather than as someone famous!

cathy said...

Stopping by after a busy summer of little knitting or blog-reading. I'm glad your little dog is more comfortable.