Tuesday, 19 May 2009

Tuesday afternoon

I've finished my Rainbow Baktus.

Here it is looking slightly windswept on my fence this morning. Once again I am quite unreasonably pleased with this simple little thing. It is very easy to wear - I think this is possibly its main attraction - and the colours, as always with Noro, are pleasing. Bright, yes definitely! - but pleasing.

This was most of one skein of Noro Kureyon sock yarn - most of a skein rather than the whole thing because I was experimenting with different ways of working a picot cast-on for the beginning of a sock, found a knot in the yarn with a complete break in the colour sequence, and got fed up, and threw away the odd section at the beginning. The colourway is S92 and I used 3mm needles.

I could show you Filey, which is coming along, albeit slowly as my hands don't like working with Summer Tweed for too long. I haven't got up to the armholes yet, and really it looks the same as it did in the last post except a bit bigger. I shall have to sort out some buttons for this, fairly soon. I did look up the ones that Rowan used in the magazine, they are from Bedecked these days, and I was somewhat horrified at the price. Lovely, yes, but I don't want to pay that much. And the colour would not work, anyway.

They do have some interesting buttons on that website, though. I want something with a naturalistic feel, I think. The rough sawn horn button looks really good..... but ouch, that's just as expensive as the original buttons. So that's out. As is the round horn button, for the same reason. The smooth wood button looks more hopeful, and that's a better price too.

I have also cast on for something new.


Here is the beginning of Rogue Roses. This is the latest from the Blue Moon Sock Club 09. The yarn is Socks That Rock mediumweight in a colour called Gertrude Skein, and that amuses me enormously. (Gertrude Stein - A rose is a rose is a rose - you know....) Anyway, this is an extremely pretty pattern (from Stephanie Pearl McPhee) and it is interesting knitting. It took me a couple of attempts to get the rosebuds working nicely, but I think I've cracked it now. 'Backwards knitting' is involved in my method, albeit briefly.

And on the subject of backwards knitting - aka mirror knitting - there is a certain Rowan Consultant who is probably the fastest knitter I've ever seen. When she's working stocking stitch, she doesn't turn her work and purl back - instead she 'knits backwards,' with the stitches being worked from the right hand needle to the left hand needle. Knitting backwards, for her, is faster than purling. And of course, no time spent turning the work and rearranging things to begin the new row.

For me, knitting backwards isn't quite as fast as purling, nor quite as intuitive - but one of these days I shall take my courage in both hands (hah) and work an entire garment this way. Logically, it ought to be faster and easier, once I'm properly used to it. I think.

But that's not today.....

1 comment:

Lin said...

I can't keep up with all your lovely knits! I have tried continental knitting, no good at that! Will have a go at backwards knitting!