Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Wednesday - and more de-stashing

The lace has got me again - the only knitting I've been doing is that second lace sock. SSS? - no way.

I don't know why I'm surprised, it happens every time. Lace is really, really hard to put down. Would you believe that I haven't even picked up Rugged? It just won't do. I want that finished.

Also, I really do want to start another travel sock, as there is likely to be a fair bit of hanging around in hospital waiting rooms tomorrow, and I'm lost without my sock knitting. I have some Noro Sock yarn in rainbow colours, and I intend to make myself a nice straightforward pair of socks with a picot hem and a pointed spiral toe.

There is going to be a bit of experimenting with the picot hem because I'd like to perfect a method whereby I only need one set of dpns. I have a very nice method indeed using a provisional cast on in the round. This really does give a perfect finish - but you do need a spare set of needles for this method, and also something to use for a lifeline - and I'd like a method that doesn't. Just yarn and one set of dpns, that's what I'd like.

So for these socks, the hem will be closed by picking up from the cast-on edge, and I want to find a method that gives a finish that I'm happy with - so far, it's never quite been good enough.

And that needs doing today, because if I'm to have a sock to pull out of my handbag tomorrow, then I need to have reached the 'mindless stocking stitch' stage....

So - no more lace sock until I've finished the hem of the travel sock. And I must see if I can get Rugged done up to the armhole shaping, as well.



One thing more - the de-stashing continues! I definitely have too much yarn - I've decided that I have to be ruthless. Even if it is lovely, and even if I know exactly what I'd like to make with it.....

So, I've got some more goodies on my Ravelry trade/sell page. The first lot has all gone now, by the way.

This time there is enough dark blue Rowan Bamboo Tape for a garment, some Opal Sock Yarn in solid colours, some Lucy Neatby Celestial Merino Dream, a skein of Fiddlesticks Knitting Country Silk, a skein of Yarn Yard sock yarn with a little contrast skein for heels and toes, and finally some undyed silk laceweight.

Let me know if you are interested in any of it!

No comments: