Friday, 13 March 2009

Friday

I've been sidetracked, I will admit it. I should have Rugged pretty much finished by now, but what with the frogging of the sleeve and the prospect of frogging half of the back as well, I haven't had a lot of enthusiasm for it. Plus working with those large needles is not comfortable. Excuses, excuses.

What I have been doing instead is knitting a lacy sock, and oh, what a pleasure it is to be working with fine yarn and a pattern like this.


This is the first sock kit from last year's Blue Moon Sock Club. The pattern is by Adrienne Fong, and it is called Serendipity - the yarn is Socks That Rock Lightweight, one of my most favourite yarns, in a colour called Dragon Dance.

It's the usual thing with one of Blue Moon's sock kits - for me, this is about stepping outside the comfort zone and trying something new. I would not have chosen this colourway myself, and I doubt that I'd have picked the pattern either - nevertheless I am really enjoying the knitting.

I think it's the lace that is making the difference here - 'just one more row' may be a complete cliche, but really that is exactly how it goes, at the moment. I 'just' want to work the plain round that goes after this lace round - and then I 'just' want to work the next two rounds - and maybe 'just' two more - and so it continues.

The sock starts with 2x2 ribbing, and then moves into a simple lace pattern with a 28 row repeat. There is a short row heel, worked over rather more than half the total stitch count, which means that it is deep enough to fit my heel nicely. And, when I get there, there will be a star toe.

I am making the medium size, and it is fitting very nicely so far. I'm not entirely convinced about the way this heel is worked, the holes along the sides are a feature that I don't think fits visually with the rest of the sock - but I am working it the way according to the pattern, nevertheless. Stepping out of the comfort zone, remember.

One further thing has become clear - this is not good travel knitting, it takes too much concentration. I need to cast on for another sock, in mindless stocking stitch.

The reason for this is that the current travel socks are finished.


These are for my husband. The yarn is from Regia's Kaffe Fassett Design Line, colour 04351, Jungle Mirage.

The pattern is a slight change from the usual - 3x1 ribbing for the leg and the instep, and the reinforcement provided to the heel flap by the use of heel stitch is continued through the heel turn and along the underside of the foot as far as the end of the gusset shaping. I think that it looks quite good, actually. The reinforced section under the heel definitely strikes me as a good idea, this is where my husband's socks always go into a hole and the idea is that I will end up with less time spent darning.

My husband is pleased with them. I'll post the pattern shortly, there have been several requests.

Now all I need to do is get his next pullover finished.

No comments: