Friday, 13 February 2009

Two

Here is sweater number two for 2009.


This is Polly, from Kim Hargreaves' book Thrown Together.

I made the size to fit 40" bust, and I used 8 balls of Rowan Polar - that's 800 metres - and I had less than half a ball left over. I made the body about 1" longer because I really did think it would be a good idea, but it turns out that I need not have done this. This slightly longer length still works well, though.


I like this better than I thought I was going to, actually. I wore it to knitting group this afternoon, and I'm still wearing it now. It is soft and warm - but not too warm, due to the elbow length sleeves. And my goodness, this fabric is lovely to wear. It looks soft and gorgeous - and that's exactly what it is.


If I made it again, I would make it one or even two sizes smaller. I do seem to have a problem with body image, along with a large percentage of the female population. Thinking back, there are many occasions where a pullover has turned out a little on the large size, and not one single occasion where I've knitted something that has turned out to be too small. Bigger is not necessarily better, and I need to trust measurements of existing garments, rather than 'allowing a bit of extra ease'.


Fortunately, this works well as a wide loose jacket, and I like it.


I have cast on for something else, and it isn't a sweater. Nor indeed is it a garment of any sort at all.....


This is the very beginning of the Earth Stripe Curtain, a Kaffe Fassett pattern from Rowan 42. There isn't a finished version on Ravelry yet, other than a modified version using a single solid colour.

That's Kidsilk Night and Kidsilk Haze that you can see there, 305 stitches on 4mm needles. This thing is going to end up 260 cm long, so it could take me a while. I worked out this morning that the number of stitches in the finished curtain will be something in excess of 240,000 - that's definitely rather a lot.

I am also swatching for something else at the moment - Susie from Rowan Classic Beach. This is a simple moss stitch waistcoat, and there are no pictures on Ravelry yet. The pattern is written for Rowan Classic Natural Silk Aran, but I'm going to use some Rowan Classic Cashmere Tweed, which is just unbelievably luscious.......

Also, it is not grey. Now there's a surprise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Polly is very prettty! Really looks lovely on too - I've got some polar in the same colour, plus in truffle - a brown - am now v.tempted to cast on for this - your neckband is perfect too, so thanks for the hints on that - another triumph!

Terri x