Saturday, 20 December 2008

A turning point

Here I am again.

Last weekend I was all set to post lots of stuff, but life got in the way, as it has a tendency to do. I won't deny that we have had a very difficult time over the last week. Bad things happening - very big, scary life-and-death stuff. The real deal. But everyone has come through it, and now comes the recovery, which might take a while.

It seems very appropriate that tomorrow is the solstice.



You won't be surprised to hear that I haven't been knitting. The travel sock has progressed a little - I am now past the gusset shaping on the second sock. But that's about it. I have every intention of picking up the poor neglected Striped Sweater this evening, but it remains to be seen whether I will actually manage to do this.

I had intended to post about my spinning last Saturday, and I think that I'll do that now.

I am slightly handicapped at the moment by the fact that I only have two bobbins at my disposal - the others are all in the process of being beautified in the same way as my wheel. This will be lovely when it is done, but does mean that until then my resources are somewhat limited.

Here is the state of play with the organic merino pencil roving from Natalie.


This really is spinning up beautifully. Now that I've discovered what I was doing wrong (hold the hands further apart! this is a long staple fibre!) things are going faster. I shall Navajo ply it so that the pretty colour changes don't get lost.


And here is my moorit Shetland. This is such incredibly easy spinning that really I can hardly believe it. It practically jumps onto the bobbin by itself. I'm spinning this mostly straight from locks of washed fleece - I'm opening out the locks with a little wire dog brush if needed, just flicking them really. I'm only carding if I really need to. I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks when it is plied - a simple 2 ply will be the best choice here, I think.

I'm aiming for something like a heavy DK, and I think I might actually get it.

Finally, there is this.



This came from Jan at Frangipani, and it is a shade card for 5ply Guernsey yarn, sold on cones. Just look at those colours! There are 5 different shades of Navy, would you believe? At the moment this is sitting on the desk next to the keyboard, and I keep picking it up and looking at it. I am hoping to talk my husband letting me make him a Guernsey sweater. He isn't keen on Aran work, but I think that the subtle texture of a Guernsey might be more acceptable. And I keep looking at this, and also the pale green one in the background to the right. Nice, I think.

Note to self: sweep floor before taking pictures......

1 comment:

Heather said...

Your spinning looks beautiful!

The colours of the Frangipani look great too, I think I have a very old shade card from them when they only did 8 or 10 colours, I think it might be time to order a new one.

Hope things generally continue to improve.