Sunday, 28 December 2008

Sunday

I am knitting again.

I've finished the Travelling Socks - actually I finished these on Friday, I think.


My standard sock pattern, to fit my husband. The yarn is Noro Kureyon Sock, and the colourway is snappily entitled S150. The socks, as you can see, are fraternal - however it would have been easy to make them identical. The colour repeats in the yarn are conveniently arranged to accommodate this, and it would have been nice to know this beforehand. Well, I know now.

I like this colourway a lot actually, and I have thoughts of a sweater for myself out of this yarn. If you have similar thoughts, and there is a current colourway that you particularly like, then I would advise you not to hang around. I hear on the grapevine that Noro will be discontinuing all the current colourways of Noro Kureyon Sock - yes, all of them - and replacing them with an entirely new range of colours.

The other thing that merits a mention is the choice of needles here. My trusty Inox bamboo 2.5mm dpns broke whilst I was making these socks. I've had them for ages - I think they were my first sock needles ever - I liked them, and I was sorry to see them go. The replacements, however, turn out to be even better.

Clover Takumi Bamboo dpns, again 2.5mm of course. These are good. They are more rigid than the Inox bamboo needles, and the points are better as well. Also, they have the sizing and needle details neatly engraved in the middle - the Inox ones had no sizing marking at all. The engraved details give a slightly textured surface to the middle part of each needle (of course) and although this was a bit surprising at first, I soon realised that it is helpful - the stitches really do stay put better than on a smooth needle.

If I'm buying bamboo needles again in the future, these would be my choice.



I have also cast on something new.


The pattern is called Tall Tibetan Coriolis Socks, and it is to be found in Cat Bordhi's excellent book New Pathways for Sock Knitters - 'Coriolis' refers to the construction method. I am using the yarn supplied as the last instalment of the Blue Moon Sock Club 2007 - Socks That Rock mediumweight in a particularly lovely colourway called Bella Coola. I really like this yarn - well, not so much the weight, as I do prefer the lightweight STR - but the colour is just beautiful.

I couldn't get on with the Cat Bordhi pattern originally supplied with the yarn, much to my disappointment. Despite repeated attempts, the socks were just not going to end up the same shape as my feet. So I looked elsewhere for a pattern - and here in Cat's New Pathways book there is a pattern written for one skein of STR mediumweight, using a construction method that I think looks really interesting. So, there it was.

I am not messing around with the pattern at all, I am just making it exactly as written, for the size that says midfoot 8.5". I think it ought to fit, but we shall see. The needles are 3mm Knitpicks dpns, and so far this is fairly flying along at 7 stitches to the inch - and yes, that surprised me too, to the extent that I actually worked a swatch. And that is extremely unusual for me with sock yarn.


One last thing, only slightly knitting related.

I now have a Sony eReader, and I love it to bits. It is even better than I thought it would be - crystal clear display, with no problems at all in bright sunlight, and the battery lasts a quite unbelievably long time between charges. Apparently it only uses power when the page is changed - maintenance of the current page takes no power at all.

And it holds so much! At the moment I have close to 200 titles on there, and there is still plenty of space, and that's without any additional memory stick or memory card. I have been roaming around Project Gutenberg finding lots of old favourites (for free!) and putting them onto my neat little Book.

And now the knitting related bit - I have discovered that I can put knitting patterns on there, especially if they are in pdf format. And I can magnify bits of them if needed - like charts. I haven't tried word documents yet, but I bet that will work too.

This is good.

Oh and by the way, the software that you want for one of these little eReaders, IMHO, is Calibre. I've tried the Sony software, and I've tried the Adobe Digital Editions as well - they are both very pretty, but they don't always do what I want, and I certainly don't find either of them very intuitive to use. Calibre is better. Much, much better.

1 comment:

Kate said...

OMG, that's brilliant! :-0

I admit I've been pretty scornful of the things because I love "proper" books with pages and the smell of the ink and so on, but to have all my pattern pdf files together like that sounds ideal. :-)

(still prefer reading novels the old-fashioned way, though..!)