Sunday, 7 December 2008

Sunday evening

Well, I am still here.

Yesterday I had a nice time at That Shop. It was the first Saturday of the month, and that means knitting group. I still don't know very many people there, but it is a nice place to be. I had arranged to meet the lady who has bought the Wee Peggy that I have been looking after for the Guild, and we had time for a lesson. I do like teaching!

It is very hard indeed to leave that shop without a purchase, and I did buy a couple of little bits - a crochet hook in a size that I inexplicably don't seem to have, and some sock yarn which is intended for the facings of the Ropes and Picots Cardigan from the current IK. That's a nice pattern, I think. It will probably be one of the twelve sweaters that I hope I'm going to knit next year - although that particular statement of intent may turn out to have been a bit rash. But if I can't manage it, I won't worry about it.

Anyway. I am going to substitute some black New Lanark Donegal Silk Tweed for the Rowan Scottish Tweed DK which the pattern suggests - this stuff is quite unbelievably cheap, and feels lovely, really the quality is excellent. It is so nice that it seems as if it ought to cost a whole lot more, in fact.

I have done a little bit of knitting. Yesterday things seemed to be better, and I picked up the Striped Sweater without even thinking about it. It was lovely to be knitting again, I miss it a lot when I don't knit.

But today, things aren't going too brilliantly, and once again I can't knit.

I don't know why this happens. It really isn't sensible at all to find myself behaving like this. But knitting is a somewhat meditative process, for me, and at the moment I can't seem to find the right place in my mind. Which probably sounds entirely bonkers.

I think that I need to sit down and make myself knit. Maybe it would help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the New Lanark wool - it is lovely stuff. And it's not mad at all to not be in the right frame of mind for knitting; I've got 4 projects on the go at the moment and all of them are stuck because they are at the point where they require more thought than my brain can cope with when I finally get time to sit down and knit at the end of the day!
Lisa x

Martelle said...

I really feel for you at the moment. My DH has recently been in hospital 150 miles from us (an emergency admission when we were meant to be having a family weekend away). He was discharged yesterday and I NEED to knit to keep me sane, but haven't been able to touch anything over the last week. I hope that things improve for you soon and that you find some solace in yarn soon. Maybe some soothing spinning?

Hugs and healing thoughts,
Martelle

Elly said...

Ooh, I'm jealous that you live close enough to Get Knitted to go there!

Thanks for the comment about making rolags... do you have any link for more info? I did google and look on youtube, but nothing seems to be coming up.

Cheers!
Elly.