Tuesday, 23 December 2008

Queues and other things

I'm still thinking about NaKniSweMoDo. Mainly because I'm still not knitting, apart from the travel sock, which is still progressing slowly during car journeys. I am thinking about knitting, definitely, I'm just not doing it.

One of the best features of Ravelry is the queue. Now, I am big on queues. I like lists, I like organising things. Before the Rav came along, I used to have an Excel spreadsheet where I kept track of what stash I had, and what it was intended for. Also where the pattern was to be found - don't underestimate the importance of this one. Nothing more frustrating than being unable to recall which pattern magazine is the one you need - especially as Rowan is now up to 44. That's a lot of magazines to leaf through.

And that reminds me, there will be a new one in the not-so-very-distant future. Number 45, in February 09. Last time - number 44 - I was working for Rowan, and because I had seen the preview I had the delicious knowledge of exactly what gorgeousness was in store. This time, no, unfortunately. I would really, really like to know - but I shall just have to wait and find out with everyone else.

Anyway, the queue. I've seen lots of people starting NaKniSweMoDo sections, and planning it all out. I might do this, but I know of old just how bad I am at sticking to my carefully laid plans. I think I'll just put things up as I come to them.

First, it must be the Striped Sweater, though. I had been sure that this was going to be finished before Christmas - turns out not to be the case. I'll get there in the end.

After that, currently I am thinking Earnshaw, mainly because it is cold and damp and nasty right now, and everyone seems to be ill, and a big soft warm comfort sweater sounds like just what I want. Also it will work up fast - very nearly instant gratification! - and I am a complete sucker for a pretty yarn.

Of course there is also Jadis, which is very high indeed on my list of 'wants' - but all of a sudden I am losing weight again quite fast, and I don't want to knit this lovely thing (Rowan Silk Wool DK, yum) and then have it not fit me next winter. So maybe this one should wait.

And in view of the ongoing weight loss, I think that for the time being I should stick to unfitted sweaters that will still look good even if I do continue to shrink. Polly looks like a good bet, as does Nissa - both of these look good with a decent amount of ease. Sarah Dallas' Moss Stitch Jacket will work even if I do get thin (hah, still can't quite believe it could ever happen) and Kaari is another one that will be accommodating - I do like raglans, they make things so much more adaptable....

So, all that I need now is to actually start knitting again. Maybe I should aim to get the travel sock done, first. That isn't too much to aim for, it is nearly done.

Hmmm.

No comments: