Sunday, 21 December 2008

Past the cusp?

Look! Another post! I can do it if I really try....

The year has turned. The solstice was at 12:05 this afternoon, and from now on the days get longer and the nights get shorter. This cannot possibly be making any perceptible difference just yet, but it does seem to mean something to me. Things feel lighter, better. Things will improve. Except not the knitting, not quite yet.

And on that note, I've been wondering about NaKniSweMoDo. Because at the moment I'm not knitting at all, and NaKniSweMoDo means that I will attempt to finish twelve sweaters next year - adult size sweaters.

Now, when this was first mooted, I signed up like a shot, because of course it would be easy peasy, wouldn't it? Fifteen sweaters this year - twelve next year, no problem whatsoever. Piece of cake. But then life jumps up and says - hang on a minute, things aren't necessarily going to be a smooth ride over the next twelve months. And that's true. Things might be a bit bumpy. In fact I can practically guarantee that they will be bumpy.

Well, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to go with the flow. I had planned to start and finish twelve sweaters next year - but I don't have to. I just have to finish twelve. And that is still possible, definitely. There is exactly zero chance that the Striped Sweater will be done before the end of the year - but it can be the first project finished in 2009.

Now, at the moment I'm still not knitting at all - today even the travel sock didn't get picked up. The Striped Sweater is still in the knitting bag where it's been for quite a while now, poor neglected thing. But I will knit again, I know that I will, and it won't be much longer, because the stress levels are dropping.

At least it means that I am not actually obsessive about knitting. Despite previous appearances to the contrary.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and watch Roadhouse, which I've just realised is on the television.

Patrick Swayze, don't you know. And music from Jeff Healey.

No comments: