Monday, 10 November 2008

Monday morning

Yesterday afternoon I said to my husband - 'Do you like my new mitts?'

'Yes', he said. 'Little red scrooge mitts!'

And so they are.

Toasty mitts, worked slightly shorter than in the pattern. Just a little bit more than half a skein of Cascade 220 in Ruby, using 4.5mm dpns. You could definitely knit these in an evening.

Plain, simple, just right. Very useful.


I wish I could say that I have also worked lots and lots on my husband's striped sweater, but I haven't.

The reason for this is that in my somewhat lengthy wanderings through the stash yesterday - (I was looking for the Elann Baby Cashmere in black that I want to use for the Helen Hamann Trapeze Tank that I planned to knit for Christmas 2007 and - ahem - haven't cast on yet) - I found the Yorkshire Tweed 4 ply in Graze that I knew was in there somewhere. The stash hunt stopped right there, and no I hadn't found the cashmere yet.

Because, of course, I couldn't resist.

This is the beginning of one of Jared Flood's Druid mittens (Green Autumn mittens according to VK) and I am finding it seriously difficult to put down. These are positively addictive. It's a long time since I worked any aran knitting, and I have never worked aran at anything like this gauge. My previous aran work has always been with, well, aran yarn.

I just love this, though. Little miniature four strand cables, tight and neat. Teeny little bobbles. Slip stitch columns. A half-linen stitch palm. It is all so perfect! And it is all charted!

Those are 2.25mm dpns, by the way. The red needle hiding in there is a single Susan Bates Silvalume 1.75mm dpn which is doing duty as a cable needle. I like my cable needles to be significantly smaller than the working needles, also I like long cable needles, so this works perfectly.

Anyway, needle size. The pattern says 3.25mm, which seems a little bit large. Jared says that he actually worked the original mittens on 3.75mm, and I have no idea how he managed that. Well, I do really, of course - he has said that he knits tightly, and it is apparent that he really means it. I will stay with the 2.25mm dpns, thankyou very much.

And now I think I will go and work some more teeny green cables.

Housework? That can wait.

No comments: