Wednesday, 12 November 2008

Dazzling

Yesterday I mentioned that I was thinking of designing a modular knit. Well, I have a bit of a head start now, because look what arrived in the post.


I have managed to get my hands on a copy of Dazzling Knits, by Patricia Werner. Heather mentioned it not so long ago on her blog, and I paid attention, because Heather is a doyenne of modular knitting. Believe me. I've seen her patchwork pullover.

There is all sorts of gorgeousness in this book. Patricia recommends starting with this waistcoat, in order to learn the techniques explained in the book -


- and I think that I shall do just that. I have ideas for colours, and I have yarn in the stash that will work.

Also, there is this waistcoat, which uses a different basic shape.


And just look at this little sampler made of triangles....

Just beautiful!

Patricia gives some patterns in the book - but the reason that I think the book is so brilliant is that Patricia explains how to design a garment using modular knitting. The subtitle is 'Building Blocks to Creative Knitting' - and that is a good way of putting it. She says, in effect - this is how I did it, now you go and do it your way! I like that.

One more thing. The cardigan jacket that I so admired? - it was knitted using the pattern illustrated on the front cover. Yes, modified a bit. But that's it. Lovely.

I shall have to revise my list of planned projects, I can see!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Good luck with your design! I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

At the patchwork knitting workshop I helped at one of the other ladies had knitted a couple of things from Patricia's book and they were beautiful.