Sunday, 12 October 2008

Sunday

It's been another beautiful day. Perfect autumn weather - chilly nights, foggy mornings until the sun gets up properly and burns off the mists, then warm sunshine all day until the temperature starts to drop in the evening, and the fog starts to form again over the river....

There were a number of things that I wanted to blog about recently that I don't seem to have actually said anything about. For instance, I mentioned a new sock. Here it is.


Yet another Kaffe Fassett Stripe sock, to fit my husband (who does need new socks) and in my usual pattern, which requires no thinking whatsoever. I started this in the car on Tuesday, when we had to go to Bristol for a hospital appointment, and actually reached the beginning of the heel flap by the time we arrived home again. Yes, we were in that waiting room for quite a while.

Kari, I am sorry to say, still hasn't got a photograph, and I am still worried about whether I will have enough yarn. I shouldn't be worried, I do know that these patterns are test knitted, and that the yarn requirements are carefully worked out. But, but.... I still am. Anyway, I've finished the left sleeve and I'm working up through the ribbing on the back at the moment, and I am well into the second ball of yarn out of seven.

Now. Knitting group! I have found one, just down the road from me!

Seriously though, I am rather pleased. When we lived in Hampshire I used to go to a very active knitting group which was an offshoot of the West Surrey Spinning Guild - once a month, in a village hall. And I have really been missing it. I have had problems fitting in knitting group meetings whilst I was working for Rowan, but now I have spare time (when I am not exhausted!) and this does make a difference.

I've been to some meetings of the Bath Stitch N Bitch group, and I shall go back again - and also some meetings of a group at Sutton Benger, unfortunately no longer running - but the one that works best for me is the one I've just discovered.

Craft Chat & Coffee in Bowerhill, near Melksham, every other Friday afternoon. I did enjoy myself! It was so nice to meet other knitters, and see what everyone else is working on. I worked a bit on Kari, and a bit on the sock, but more time was spent chatting than anything else. I am looking forward to the next meeting, definitely!

Later this evening I shall go and work some more on Kari, I think. That ought to be a quick knit, in theory, but it hasn't worked out that way so far.

And also this evening I will be spending some time at my wheel - yes, I am spinning again. The Wiltshire Guild is doing a spinning demonstration tomorrow at Trowbridge Library, and I have - possibly rather rashly? - volunteered to take part. I won't be on my own, thank goodness, otherwise the demonstration might take more the form of 'how not to' instead of 'how to'. But I don't really have any idea what to expect at all.

I shall be working with some rather nice organic merino pencil roving, which came from Natalie at The Yarn Yard. I haven't worked with pencil roving before, so this might be a bit interesting.


It's extremely pretty, though, don't you think?

1 comment:

cathy said...

Yes, it is very pretty. I haven't used pencil roving either, but was interested once to watch someone using it with the great wheel (standing up and turning the wheel with one hand).

Just paged down and saw your tip for eliminating stair-step cast-offs. Haven't seen that one before; I'm very impressed with the result!