Sunday, 5 October 2008

Sunday

Goodness, it's as much work as looking after a baby.


Although Lucy is still feeling very sorry for herself, she is definitely not in so much pain now, the medication is doing its work. Last night she slept through til morning, which was a great relief. The previous night was not like that at all. Today she is coming out of the crate readily - yesterday she was sometimes unwilling to leave it. She is still going back in again quite happily as well, but as she continues to improve she is probably going to find it more difficult being confined. Well, we'll deal with it as we come to it. Back to the vet on Friday for a review.....

I've been knitting.

I'm almost finished with the Hooded Tunic now. I've done all the actual knitting, and today I'm seaming it. Current progress has one sleeve set in, the hood all finished and the placket slip stitched in place. So that means one sleeve still to be set in, and the long seams at the sides and along the sleeves still to work. I've actually used less yarn than the pattern says - 13 balls instead of 15. But I have worked both the body and the sleeves just a bit shorter than suggested, so that would be the reason.

I have enough left over to make myself another Lacy Raglan Top for next summer, which is excellent - I really like the one I already have, and it's been worn a lot. This time I shall probably be making the next size down - Medium, to fit 12-14, intead of Large, to fit 16-18. Yay!

I did also work some more on the Salish Sea Sock. This was the final sock kit of 2007 from Blue Moon. I've had it on the needles for a while now, and it won't be finished any time soon - because I've had to frog it. I had picked size L, because it said finished sock circumference 8", and the stitch count around the ball of the foot was 60 sts at 7.5 spi - I'd expect this to fit me nicely. But by the time I was coming to the end of the arch expansion - toe up sock, by the way, with one of Cat Bordhi's unusual construction methods - I tried it on for the first time, and it was definitely too big.

So, I've pulled it right back and I'm working the Medium instead. But I shall get the Hooded Tunic finished first, before I spend much more time on it.

After that..... I think I shall set several projects aside for a while.

Dauphine - I may have to reknit that in a smaller size. I was working size 18, and I am increasingly sure that it is going to be too big. So I'll need to pull it all back and start again, and I don't feel like doing that at the moment, not at all. I shall pick it up again next summer, when it has become clear whether I should make a 16 or a 14.

Cookie - this is not going to be frogged, I shall carry on with it when I want something completely mindless. But right now I don't feel that a large amount of 1x1 ribbing is what I want to work on. So, set aside.

Milli from Rowan 20 - again, doesn't appeal right now. And nor does the Key West pullover which I started last year. Kimono - probably top of the list of UFO's that I do actually want to get finished. Tender, the fisherman's rib pullover from The Calmer Collection - nope, don't feel like it. And I hate to say it, but I am definitely going to frog the Kauni cardigan. I have other plans for that yarn.

So what next? Definitely something woolly - Kari, probably, from The Cocoon Collection. I've got some Rowan Cocoon in Mountain 805 which is a very dark charcoal - I had intended this for a cardigan (Gigi), but I've changed my mind. I won't be starting it until the Hooded Tunic is completely finished, though.

In the meantime, I shall put up some more 'how to' posts, I think. First up, how to get nice neat edges without slipping stitches, twisting stitches, or indeed doing anything other than working them in the normal way - almost. Later today, with luck.

After that, a trick to deal with the 'stair steps' that you get when the pattern says something like 'cast off 4 stitches at the beginning of the next 8 rows'. A smooth curve makes seaming so much easier and neater. And yes, you actually can get a smooth curve this way - and it is extremely easy.

And finally, how to work the very last stitch cast off at the end of a project - you know how it always makes a little sticky-out corner? Well, it is easily dealt with.

Lots of people take these very simple tricks for granted and use them automatically. I've used them all for many years, they just always seemed the logical way to do things - and it never occurred to me that not everyone knew about them. It really wasn't until I started running Drop-In Knitting Clinics that I realised this.

So, if you haven't come across them before, maybe you'll find them helpful. If you know them already, then please just pass them by.

Later, anyway......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aah, Lucy looks so adorable...and sorry for herself! Thanks for the tip, and very much looking forward to seeing more. I love your blog!
Regards, Terri