Friday, 24 October 2008

Friday

I wore Kari again today, to knitting group this time. This top really does work extremely well. The fabric is thick and soft and light and very very warm - but the styling, with the wide loose neckline and the wide drapy sleeves, means that it really is fine for indoor wear. And yet afterwards, when I came home, I took Lucy out for a walk and was not cold despite the chilly wind. There really is nothing quite like wearing wool.

One thing, however. This yarn sheds. It sheds a lot, in fact. But I still love it.

From the comments - Terri, you were asking about how I wear this top. Kari is really an oversweater, and I have been wearing it over a black scoop-neck tshirt with elbow length sleeves - so the tshirt sleeves are shorter than the sleeves on Kari, and the tshirt neckline just shows at the top. When the weather is colder, I will wear it over a tshirt with long sleeves, I think. It is soft enough for wearing next to the skin - and indeed it is next to the skin all around the neckline, and at the lower edges of the sleeves. So if the fabric was going to irritate me, I'd know about it. But the shape is wide and loose, and I feel better with something underneath.

The Striped Sweater continues slowly. I have nearly finished the fancy rib, and I just hope that my tension is ok - it is hard to judge these stitches with long loopy bits. The finished width is going to be just under 70cm - yes, that is right! - and I am working on 60 cm needles so it is difficult to spread it out and have a proper look. I know, I should get another needle out. But when I get to the stocking stitch bit, then I'll be changing needles anyway, and that's pretty close now.

I am trying to get the current KF socks finished, mainly because I am fed up with them. I want to cast on a scarf. Probably Vintage Velvet, because I fancy playing around with a bit of felting.

I have given up with the Salish Sea Socks, I have decided that these socks just are not the right shape for my feet. I didn't quite throw them out of the window, but they have been frogged for the last time. I am very disappointed that I cannot seem to make this pattern work for me.

What I have been doing, though, is having a good thorough read of the Coriolis architecture section in Cat Bordhi's 'New Pathways', and I now understand exactly why they don't fit. Also, I've discovered a pattern called Tall Tibetan Socks that uses this architecture - which is the one on which the Salish Sea Socks are based - and also uses STR mediumweight - which is the yarn used by the Salish Sea Socks. Click! I can customise the Tibetan socks, so they will fit. That sounds more like it.

One other thing I have discovered - my feet are not very average.

Cat Bordhi gives a page of 'average' sock measurements. I know my measurements are in there somewhere, because I was one of the people who contributed information for this, when she was writing the book. But my goodness I am not in the middle of the range at all.

Looking at my shoe size/length of foot, my midfoot measurement (around the middle of the foot with a tape measure, ie under the foot in the middle of the arch and over the top) is very much on the small side. My heel/arch measurement (from the point of the heel at the back of the sole, diagonally around over the top in the 'corner' between the top of the foot and the beginning of the leg) is precisely average, which surprised me. But what you look at when calculating whether the adjustment is needed for a high arch, is the ratio of these two things - the midfoot, and the heel/arch measurements. And because my midfoot measurement is unusually small, my arch ratio thingie is pretty much off the scale.

So basically, this explains why the toes were loose in the non-custom-fit Salish Sea Socks. And also why I tend to like pointy-toe socks, because it takes some of the slack out of the toe end of the sock.

Ms Bordhi, however, gives so much detail in her book regarding customising the fit, that I ought to be able to end up with the best fitting pair of socks I've ever made.

This sounds good.

No comments: