Wednesday, 3 September 2008

How to work the Buttonhole Cast On

I thought that whilst I was working the buttonhole caston at the bottom of the placket, I might as well take a few photos.

This cast on is not much used, probably because it is a little fiddly to work. But it really is extremely useful. It is without doubt the best caston to use for buttonholes - it produces a very neat, very firm edge, with absolutely no stretch to it whatsoever. If you use this cast on, never again will your buttonholes stretch in wear!

To work The Best 2-row Buttonhole Ever - simply cast off the number of stitches needed on the first row, and on the second row cast them back on again using the buttonhole cast-on. It really is as simple as that.

I am using it here for the caston edge at the base of an overlapping placket front.

You have only the working yarn to deal with, of course.

Take it in the left hand, and make a loop with the thumb, exactly as for the thumb method of the long-tailed cast on.

Now, put the RH needle into the loop on the thumb...



...and then bring the working yarn to the front.



Now bring the working yarn round the needle, as if to knit.....



.... and drop the loop that was around your thumb, off the end of the needle.



Now you have something that looks approximately like this - a sloppy sort of reverse slip knot - and you need to firm it up, making sure that it is in the right place on the needle.


I won't lie to you, it is fiddly. Take your time. You can, I promise, end up with something nice and neat, looking like this.



I needed to cast on seven stitches.



It does work very nicely, I promise you. Here it is, some rows further along - the placket edge is worked in 1x1 ribbing, with the first stitch knit every row, in case you were wondering.

I think it will do!

7 comments:

Kate said...

Thank you! I've just bookmarked it as I may be needing a buttonhole method soon. :-) All the usual suspects end up far too messy and unstructured.

Lin said...

Thank you ! I always end up with a loopy bit so that is a great method.

Susan @ Damn, Knit & Blast It said...

Thank you - I'll be playing with that later. You explain and illustrate beatifully :-)

Bookmarked for future use...

FrenchMum said...

Thanks a million! Could not find my book of basics and was gettingvery frustrated so I googled cast on for buttonhole and landed on your blog. This is brilliant!...All frustrations gone instantly in a cloud of smoke!

Paula said...

This is a great tutorial, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

jeane said...

Me too! After several youtube videos and blogs, yours came out on top. (even if it took me a solid five minutes trying to work it out - my fault, not yours!) Thanks very much.

Christine said...

Wow! Thank you SO much! My buttonholes were terrible before I found your blog! Thanks a million!
Cheers :)