Sunday, 8 June 2008

Ten

Here is my re-coloured Dodge, hanging on the fence in this morning's sunshine. It is the tenth sweater that I've finished this year.


I finished this yesterday evening - I was trying to get it done in time for me to wear it to work, but that was not to be..... it did take a while dealing with all those ends neatly. I am really rather pleased with it. It is comfortable to wear, it fits nicely, and I absolutely love the colours.


So, this is Dodge, from Rowan 43, worked in Rowan's Bamboo Tape which is rapidly becoming a firm favourite of mine. I made size L, and the only thing that I changed was the colouring. I had one ball of colour A left over - but only just. There were literally only a couple of yards left from the previous ball, so I wouldn't recommend that you get any less yarn than the pattern says.

A bit more about the colours, then. This top was inspired by my seeing another recoloured version whilst I was up at Holmfirth - one of the DC's from Oxford Street had made a really wonderful version, absolutely gorgeous and very dramatic - but not colours that I could easily wear.

The original has three strong colours - Ember, a rusty red; Gale, a strong dark blue; and Honey, which is indeed a golden honey colour - together with black and white. I've replaced the black and white with Storm (grey, the same colour I used for Mine) and Wafer, a deep cream. Rope (biscuity beige) replaces the dark blue; Wedgewood (a lovely pale turquoise) replaces Honey; and Wode (mid-blue, not quite as bright as it looks here) replaces the rusty red.


Here is the original colouring - quite a difference. I'm looking forward to wearing my version at work, and I'm wondering how many people will actually recognise it from the magazine.

This was, as you'll have noticed, a very quick knit indeed, one of the fastest things I've made in fact - just 6 days from start to finish. It never actually made it onto my list of things on the needles - I started it on Monday this week, and finished, as I said, yesterday evening - so, 6 days. This yarn is a joy to work with, it flows through the fingers so beautifully - and the fabric as it comes off the needles is just so lovely - the subtle sheen, the drape.... stunning. Combine this with stripes in colours that I love, and you end up with a real 'just one more row' situation - nearly impossible to put down!

What's next? - I haven't decided yet.

We are off on the boat again tomorrow - this time it will be for about three weeks, and we are hoping that the sun will continue to shine for us. We did get fairly thoroughly rained on last time, after all. This time we are heading up the Kennet & Avon in the other direction, and my husband thinks that we may get as far as Reading before we have to turn round and head back home again. One of the first things we will have to deal with is the famous Caen Locks - I may need a separate holiday to recover from that.

I shall be taking far too much knitting with me, of course.

Currently I have picked up the Lenore socks again, and I'm enjoying them. These are the fifth socks from the Blue Moon Sock Club last year (designed by Stephanie Pearl McPhee) and they've been on the needles a quite disgracefully long time. They'll be getting finished first. I shall also take the other socks left unworked from last year's Blue Moon Club - Cat Bordhi's Salish Sea Socks. I really want to make these. Cat's book about new sock architectures is just amazing, and these socks use one of the constructions from the book, the one that I think is going to be my favourite. And they've got a star toe (also my favourite!) worked toe up. Also, I love the colours - blues and greens. I have thoughts of a teaching session on alternative sock construction..... but first I need to knit these socks.

Other than that - short sleeved tops to wear to work, that is the order of the day. So, I am taking Scree, Dauphine, and also the Lacy Raglan Top from All Seasons at the Mill. The first two will be worked in the original colours, and the Lacy Raglan will be in yet more of the discontinued dark grey All Seasons Cotton. I told you I had a lot of this stuff, and I meant it - what can I say? - I like my neutrals, and grey in particular. This stuff has already been used for the Cobblestone Pullover, and the Garter Rib Pullover from Classic Knits for Real Women. (That is such a good book, by the way.) But this will be the last top I shall make in this colour, there won't be enough left over for a fourth one, and perhaps that's as well.

Cookie too, I haven't forgotten that.

And I'm taking Bark along as well, (Rowan 38) in case I feel like crochet for a change. I still haven't started this, and now that I begin to think about it, I am realising that although it isn't sensible in the slightest and I won't be actually wearing it any time soon, this is probably going to be next. This will be another quick project too, I think.

The only difficulty is that I am also thinking about Marble from Rowan 41. I do have the yarn for this already, it has been lurking in the stash since last summer. I am not actually (quite) mad enough to think that I need to take the yarn for five sweaters, a shawl, and two pairs of socks. But that doesn't mean that I'm not going to take it anyway.

Well, maybe.

Back in three weeks!

2 comments:

Queen of the froggers said...

Have a great time. the sweater is fab and the neckline beautifully knit and finished.

Anonymous said...

Dodge is beautiful, I like your colors better. Have a great trip with smooth passage thru the locks and lots of knitting.

Barbara in CA