Monday, 28 April 2008

What was I thinking?

Unravelling from a ribbed edge just does not work.

I cannot remember when I last tried to actually do this, and although I sort of knew that it was supposed to be A Bad Idea, I had thought to myself - how bad can it possibly be? I'm sure I can manage it! Then I will avoid having another join, and there will be two less ends to weave in.

No. I can't manage it. Weaving in two extra ends is as nothing to this, truly.

Undoing the cast-on edge isn't too bad. That isn't the problem. And the actual fabric of the knitting unravels just as you'd expect it to.

The problem is that at the end of every row, and also wherever there is a switch from knit to purl, or purl to knit, there is a bit that doesn't unravel neatly and has to have the yarn tail carefully pulled all the way through. And - hello? - this is ribbing at the edge here.

If it was just a few rows, it would be do-able. But pulling the whole length of the unravelled yarn through, every three stitches, for the entirety of six rows of ribbing and then at every row end for some inches of stocking stitch - no. I may be a bit slow sometimes, but I can learn. This was not the way to go.

Instead, I picked up the right hand leg of every stitch in the eighteenth row of stocking stitch. Hooray for nice pointy Knitpicks Options.


And then I snipped a single stitch in the row below, and unpicked in both directions across the row.


Current stay of play - the neckline stitches are sitting on an Options cable with endstops. One sleeve is shortened, set in, and the side seam and sleeve seam on that side have been worked, and all the ends sewn in. The second sleeve is what you see above.

I do want to wear this to work tomorrow.......

3 comments:

Queen of the froggers said...

That looks scary! I hope you got it done for work.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, I would have unravelled like that but WITHOUT sensibly picking up the stitches first, and ended up in a right mess..., I too, am about 5' 3" with arms to match....and I don't like the current trend of the 'long enough sleeve to dangle past the hands and into the washing up'....I actually found a sweater pattern with thumb-holes in the sleeve!!! Not at all practical! (And don't get me started on the whole trousers below pants thing, the lads spend more on pants-to-be-seen in this house than on the rest of their outfits! Crazy (if you ask me, which nobody does, I do realise!!!) Fran

Martelle said...

Hope that you managed to get this sorted out and I suppose that it is sort of good news that you'll have enough for the neck. You also have the sense to try a garment on before seaming which is always a good idea, but one I never seem to remember when I'm getting excited about finishing something!