Sunday, 27 April 2008

Darn, and other comments expressing frustration

There will have to be some frogging, I believe.

I've just reached a point with Clovelly - where I could pin it all together and try it on, so that's what I've been doing. Shoulders seamed, neckline part worked - pin the side seams, pin one sleeve in place, pin the sleeve seam. Try on. Carefully, because of pins. A worthwhile exercise - much better to discover anything that needs fixing before everything is seamed.

My point of doubt was regarding whether I would have enough yarn to work the neck as deep as I wanted it to be. I've used one ball of yarn on the neck so far, and it measures just about 8 cm. The pattern says 19 cm, plus four more rounds, plus the cast off. Not the same as standard tension for this yarn, as it is worked on smaller needles, in case you're wondering. Anyway, that is maybe one-and-a-half more balls of yarn still needed. I've got one and a bit, so things might be alright.

Anyway, I tried it on. The jumper itself is really rather nice, and the deep neckline is good too. But the sleeves.... the sleeves are too long. I knew they were going to be long, and I suppose I had been trying to convince myself that they were going to be long in a good way.

This turns out not to be the case. I'm not a willowy 5'6" plus model with long elegant slim arms - I'm a curvy 5'3-and-a-bit" with arms that are a fairly normal length (I think) and although sleeves a bit on the long side are fine in their place, they aren't right for this jumper, not when it is worn by me anyway. I need to make the sleeves shorter. So there will now ensue the undoing of the cast-on edge for both sleeves, and unravelling up to the appropriate point, and reworking the ribbing, and a sewn cast-off.

Annoying, because this means I won't get it all finished tomorrow. On the other hand, it does mean that I will definitely have enough yarn to work the neckline as deep as I want.

No comments: