Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Wednesday

Here is Chevy.

Summary - this is from Rowan 43. I made size M to fit 36 - 38", and it is a generous fit. The pattern is written for Rowan Damask yarn, and I used 8 skeins - although only just 8 skeins, I had literally only a couple of yards left from the eighth skein. The pattern requirements say 9, and I'd strongly recommend that you stick to what the pattern says.

The colour I chose is 049 Pyrite - this is a lovely melange of charcoal-y greys and deep blues mixed with a silvery natural colour.

The yarn itself is lovely stuff. The drape is absolutely brilliant of course, with the high linen content. It is beautiful to work with, although it has that dry touch that says 'linen' it is not hard on the hands at all, and I love the variegation, it is just right.

The pattern - I thought that the sleeves were going to be too small to ever fit a normal human being (let alone one with arms that are not small, ie me) but much to my surprise they are absolutely fine. No glitches at all, and the only thing I'd change should I make this again would be to work the centre stitch of the V neckline as a knit stitch with centred double decreases. But it is also nice as it stands.


I wore this to work yesterday, over a long sleeved fitted black tshirt, and with a calf length black skirt. Nice and comfortable, and not too hot - which is an important factor, working in a warm airconditioned store.


Interestingly, several people commented that they liked it and enquired about the pattern and the yarn, but not one person recognised it as being from Rowan 43. This is pictured in the magazine in a red colourway, and the change of colour really makes it look very different indeed. Also of course, it is being worn by me and not by a model!

Nice pattern. I like it a lot, and I'm actually considering whether to make it again right now, in a different colour, instead of using that yarn for Ether......

On the needles right now, the Wrap Waistcoat from All Seasons at the Mill, in black All Seasons Cotton. More on that next time.....


By the way - we had some excellent fish and chips yesterday evening. We've discovered that one of the local chippies has a gluten-free evening once a month. Such a treat! So if you need gluten-free, and you're within driving distance of Trowbridge, its The Oyster fish bar in Charles Street, second Tuesday of each month. Really good!

PS - told you I wasn't dieting!

11 comments:

Kai said...

Chevy looks lovely! Glad to see your getting better honey.

Kazza said...

Chevy looks really good. Ether is on my to do list too, but the crochet edging scares me!

Fiona said...

Actually, you know, the edging on Ether is knitted. The only crochet involved is the ties with their little leaves, and you could always make a plain i-cord or a simple strip of ribbing instead... ;)

Kazza said...

I hadnt realised that! When I scanned the pattern and saw that a crochet needle was needed I just automatically presumed it was the edging. I think its worked its way up to the top of my to do list now! Thank you for your help :)

Anonymous said...

Chevy looks very nice - and the wrap waistcoat is very tempting. I'm just starting on the Printed Silk Cardigan from the newest IK with some Rowan Silkstones (rescued from an unfinished jumper that's been in my cupboard for years and years!)
Changing the subject, I've just returned from a spinning day at Seale - Mary has lent me her Wee Peggy and provided a bag of very greasy wool - wish me luck!
Lisa x

Fiona said...

That cardigan should be beautiful in Rowan Silkstones, it was such a lovely yarn. And you'll love that Wee Peggy - have fun!

Mad about Craft said...

The 'Chevy' is lovely and I really like the waistcoat.

I have decided Gluten free is very interesting. Mainly I have avoided wheat and eaten oats but I think I am now beginning to be affected by oats. I have had a oaty flapjack today after several strict days so tomorrow I will know whether I am affected as I think I am.

Queen of the froggers said...

That is a lovely top. I think I need to try some Damask, it looks great.

Lindsey said...

Ooh, Chevy is fabulous! Man you're speedy....is that 4 sweaters done already this year??

And mmm....fish and chips! I need to eat supper, I think....that sounds really good!

jessmc said...

Very pretty. And I love the 'short' sleeves, perfect for summer since I am not much of a fan of tank tops. It even looks easy enough for me to knit. ;)

mooncalf said...

You've really done a lovely job with this. I think I actually winced when I saw the professional picture in the magazine but your version is lovely. I'm thinking of frogging the Tulip cardigan I made from Rowan 41 and knitting this. Gorgeous!