Wednesday, 30 January 2008

Wednesday

I have just a suspicion that I am going to be rather busy over the next few days. The new season's yarns are being released very soon, as I'm sure you know, and I want to rearrange the yarnwall accordingly.

I shall be going into work excruciatingly early to get this done before the customers come into the shop - and I don't know if I will get it all done in one go, even so.

But I will certainly have fun trying!

I do enjoy the different things that the day at work brings me. Today within an hour, for instance, there was a new knitter looking longingly at one particular pattern using Biggy Print and wondering if they could possibly manage those big needles - and an experienced knitter putting together a rainbow of cotton yarns for a cardigan to their own design, mixing DK and 4 ply, with the 4 ply to be worked with two strands held together in different colour combinations.

This last was extremely fun, which sounds ungrammatical but is entirely true. It isn't until you get the yarns off the shelf and group them together that you get an idea of how they will work together. Adding a blue tone, maybe a soft green, trying different pinks to see which looks more interesting - I love this.

These two customers were at opposite ends of the spectrum, in terms of experience. One person just learning, following the pattern cautiously and carefully, watching every stitch - and one who has been knitting for many years and has the confidence to work alone, freestyle, if you will. And yet I know that both of their projects are going to be absolutely beautiful - and I love being part of the process.

On Thursday I will be doing some preliminary rearranging of yarns - well, as much as I can manage whilst helping customers. Later on in the day I have somebody coming in who wants some help with Fair Isle technique - and then at the end of the day there is the knitting group.

And so it goes - never two days the same. It's good, you know.

1 comment:

Queen of the froggers said...

It sounds great at work for you! I will be interested to see how the beginner gats on with the big yarn, it was a disaster for me when I started knitting!