Friday, 4 January 2008

New things

A really busy day yesterday, and very little knitting time. However, there are some new things that I am enjoying at the moment - new to me, anyway....

First is Mary Thomas's Knitting Book. This was given to me as a Christmas gift, it has languished on my Amazon wish list for ages, and really I wish I had bought it a long time ago. I am only about a third of the way through, and really, it is interesting reading. It was originally published in 1938, and some of the notation is different - but everything is clearly explained, with neat little diagrams. Such things as SSK, mattress stitch, and EZ's sewn cast off were yet to be 'unvented', so are not included, which is interesting of itself. Different knitting styles, including combined style, are thoroughly explained, which is refreshing - and no mention of 'right' or 'wrong' either, which is also rather pleasing. You will gather from this that I am still playing around with combined knitting, when the mood takes me.

Still to come are the chapters on colour knitting, beaded and embroidered knitting - and also, how to put together a foundation pattern that will ensure a good fit. I need to read that.

Also Shetland shawl, gloves, socks - and a whole chapter of tips, including things like how to darn a knitted fabric undetectably - even for a ribbed fabric.

I should have read this book years ago.


Second new thing - podcasts.

Yes, I have just discovered them. You see, I have been labouring under the misapprehension that they were something to do with iPods - the name, you see - and I don't have an iPod, so I hadn't looked into the subject any further.

What I do have is a little Zen Stone, which again I was given for Christmas, and it is a lovely toy. I have been playing around this evening finding out how to put knitting podcasts on there and finding that there are a lot of them around. It seems that I have a lot of catching up to do - but at least I can knit whilst listening.


With regard to actual knitting, I am still working on the back of the Sleeveless Pullover for my husband - so that means I am still knitting stocking stitch in the Yorkshire Tweed Aran. It feels like there are acres of it.... but in reality it is only 22 inches or thereabouts. I am partway up the armholes at the moment.

I mentioned that this is nice yarn - it is, definitely. It has a very rustic look to it - it is one fat single with a lot of twist, slightly thick-and-thin, and a finish that is almost felted. A certain amount of VM here and there, which I am picking out as I find, of course - and it produces a soft and substantial fabric. It works up very nicely at 4 stitches to the inch, and suits this pattern very well indeed.

After this is finished, I shall be knitting another modified Ganomy Hat, as the recipient of the last one has managed to 'lose' it in the pub, much to his annoyance. Well, it was not so much lost as purloined, unfortunately. Apparently it attracted some comment, and ended up being passed around, and people were saying what an amazing hat, and trying it on - and it ended up going home with someone else. Without its owner's permission, if you follow my meaning.

So I need to make another one. Or maybe two, whilst I am at it. I did look at my notes when I realised this - they seem to be rather cryptic, and I do hope that I can reconstruct the hat.

No comments: