Yesterday evening I finished the neckband and wove in the remaining ends - this morning I got the steam iron out - and here is the finished result.
I must say I am rather pleased with this. The finished pullover is effectively reversible, because I worked the neckband in the round instead of to and fro and then seaming, as the pattern says. This was the only major change that I made.
It is not too large at all, the width works beautifully with the drapiness of the fabric. And the neckband is excellent, giving a very flattering result with the wide V shape. The lower band seems wide - and indeed it is roomy - but the mitred blocks bring things in a bit, so that is just fine.
A couple of pointers for anyone else considering making this - the yarn requirements are generous, and allow you to pick and choose with your colour placement of the blocks. But! - not for the main colour, 2011. I worked the pattern exactly as written, with the blocks in rounds of each colour. If I had not bought extra of 2011, I would not have had enough of this colour to work the neckband, which is both wide and deep, and takes about one skein of yarn.
I would suggest that after working the sleeves and the lower bands, you set aside one skein of 2011 for the neckband. The round of blocks which is worked with 2011 - well, use what you have, apart from that set-aside skein - and work the rest with the other colours exactly as you please. You won't run out of yarn. Three skeins is plenty for two rounds of blocks. One round of blocks takes a little more than one full skein.
So there it is, the first finished item for 2008, and hopefully the first of rather more sweaters than last year.
I've already cast on for a sleeveless pullover for my husband, in Rowan's discontinued Yorkshire Tweed Aran. The pattern is loosely based on Peace Fleece's Simple Pie Vest, but I've resized it to fit a 48" chest and changed the proportions a bit as well. Largest size in the pattern is 44" around, you see.