Wednesday, 2 January 2008

Benedikta is finished!

Yesterday evening I finished the neckband and wove in the remaining ends - this morning I got the steam iron out - and here is the finished result.

I must say I am rather pleased with this. The finished pullover is effectively reversible, because I worked the neckband in the round instead of to and fro and then seaming, as the pattern says. This was the only major change that I made.



It is not too large at all, the width works beautifully with the drapiness of the fabric. And the neckband is excellent, giving a very flattering result with the wide V shape. The lower band seems wide - and indeed it is roomy - but the mitred blocks bring things in a bit, so that is just fine.

A couple of pointers for anyone else considering making this - the yarn requirements are generous, and allow you to pick and choose with your colour placement of the blocks. But! - not for the main colour, 2011. I worked the pattern exactly as written, with the blocks in rounds of each colour. If I had not bought extra of 2011, I would not have had enough of this colour to work the neckband, which is both wide and deep, and takes about one skein of yarn.

I would suggest that after working the sleeves and the lower bands, you set aside one skein of 2011 for the neckband. The round of blocks which is worked with 2011 - well, use what you have, apart from that set-aside skein - and work the rest with the other colours exactly as you please. You won't run out of yarn. Three skeins is plenty for two rounds of blocks. One round of blocks takes a little more than one full skein.

So there it is, the first finished item for 2008, and hopefully the first of rather more sweaters than last year.

I've already cast on for a sleeveless pullover for my husband, in Rowan's discontinued Yorkshire Tweed Aran. The pattern is loosely based on Peace Fleece's Simple Pie Vest, but I've resized it to fit a 48" chest and changed the proportions a bit as well. Largest size in the pattern is 44" around, you see.

12 comments:

Kai said...

It looks beautiful Fiona. :)

Pixie said...

Gorgeous and I have throughly enjoyed reading and watching your progress with this knit :)

Queen of the froggers said...

Fabulous, you make it looks so easy and it is beautiful colours.

Lindsey said...

Wow, that's lovely. What a great way to start the new year! Are we going to get a modelled pic to see how it looks on? :-)

Nevisknitter said...

It looks lovely, what a difference with the neckband on.

Martelle said...

It looks fabulous - you must be very pleased.

LittleBerry said...

very nice and the colours are rich and striking... looks like ou're off to a good start for 2008

LittleBerry said...

very nice and the colours are rich and striking... looks like ou're off to a good start for 2008

Susan @ Damn, Knit & Blast It said...

That's a stunner. So quick too!

Jess said...

Fiona, it looks wonderful! :0)
And very many congratulations on your new job - sounds great! What a lovely start to 2008!
Perhaps see you on the 13th Jan in the Kindling cafe,
Cheerio
Jess

Octopus Knits said...

Wow, it's lovely!

Hanna G said...

I so hope I would've googled before purchasing the yarn - I'm one skein short of #2011 that is discontinued... I'm fairly hopeful though - Ravelry <3