Saturday, 15 December 2007

We have mitres!

I'm incredibly pleased with the way this is working up. Very childish, I am sure, but this is about as different from the endless socks as it is possible to get.

The second border was finished yesterday, together with the points - that is interesting knitting in the car, I can tell you. I seamed the sides during the evening.

Seaming garter stitch is something that I find can either work absolutely beautifully, or else look like a complete mess - like a lot of things in knitting, now that I come to think about it.


I work the seam as a modified mattress stitch, from the right side, of course. You know how in garter stitch, the 'purl bumps' are in chains across the work, with top links and lower links - I take the yarn first through a lower link on one side of the seam and then through a top link on the other side. This usually means coming in half a stitch on one side, and an additional stitch on the other side, which always seems wasteful. But it works very well and produces a neat and flexible seam, with the purl bumps interlocking straight across the seam like the teeth of a zip, with the colour change right in the middle. And yes, I know there are green bits in the yarn right there, it is just how the yarn worked out.

I've tried working with the bumps nearest the edge on both sides, and the result just isn't as good. If anyone is interested, I could post some 'how to' pictures of this at some point.

Anyway, I seamed the sides. And then! Mitres!

I love this. I can't seem to put it down. Excellent fun.

This is really very easy, once the picking up stitches is sorted out. And the construction of the mitres, with the purl ridges at intervals, makes it look as if the knitter has done something extremely clever with different yarns, when in fact all I have done is work straight from the skein.

I did give some thought to how to pick up the stitches for this. There are 15 ridges along each of the border points, and 20 stitches to be picked up. So, pick up one in each of three ridges, and then one in a gap. And repeat, ending with one stitch picked up after the last ridge. Works beautifully, and no holes anywhere. This is a well written pattern, definitely.

Picking up stitches for the next round of mitres will be easier still - first, one stitch above the first ridge, then one in the ridge and two between, and repeat. It is all very obvious when you actually have the work in front of you, and for me, obvious is good, with regard to technique anyway.

This colour of Silk Garden Lite is 2010. I have three skeins of this to play with, and that needs to produce two full rounds of mitres - 16 in all. At the moment I am just working straight from the skein, with no playing around. That may change.....



What else - shopping yesterday. We went to Cribbs Causeway. I have never in my life been to a shopping complex of such a size, really it was something of a culture shock. That place is just enormous. I mean, really really huge. It is bigger than the shopping complexes in Basingstoke, and in Guildford, and the Oracle in Reading, all put together. Huge. So many shops, so many people.... We felt like the country bumpkins come to town.

Anyway, we visited John Lewis, amongst other places, and I may have happened to buy some Noro Silk Garden for a Stripy Scarf like Jared's and Norma's - well, hopefully like theirs. I've got 2 skeins each of colours 47 and 8.

This weekend we are not going anywhere at all. There will be housework (a regrettable necessity) and general tidying up before the arrival of family next week.

And there may be some spinning, if I can get myself to put down these mitres for long enough.

2 comments:

Jinann said...

The mitres look fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished project!

Lindsey said...

I don't think you can be blamed for your excitement. I'm having fun watching it take shape from here, so I can only imagine how exciting it is for you! I'm not sure I'd want to put it down, either. It's really lovely!