Saturday, 29 December 2007

Saturday morning

I think it is Saturday. I seem to be completely out of sync with the calendar at the moment.

Anyway, I am back to Benedikta. Nearly three mitres finished now in the fourth round. This round is worked in 2011, the same as the garter bands and sleeves. Here is the front - there hasn't been any addition to the back just yet.

I have also finished the requested scarf.


Just about six foot of 2 row stripes in 1x1 ribbing, with slipped stitch edges. This wasn't as tedious as one might have thought. It went surprisingly fast, and changing colours became completely automatic - although I did forget the slipped stitch at the end of the row just a couple of times. This didn't bother me enough to make me go back and fix it though.

This is more of that incredibly cheap yarn from Lidl, 80% acrylic 20% wool, and it took one and a bit skeins in each colour. Nice and soft, and pleasant to knit. I've got no problem at all working with this stuff. I infinitely prefer it to the Patons Diploma Gold with which I made Exchequered.

It has produced a beautifully soft, light and drapy scarf, with a feel of pleasant solidity to it, thanks to the 1x1 ribbing. And of course there is not a hint of curling or any similar misbehaviour.

I cast on 25 stitches and worked according to Jared Flood's generic Noro scarf - slipping the stitches at the beginning and end of the second row in each colour. This does get around the problem of slipped stitches combined with stripes - if you work the slipped stitch at the beginning of each row, then you get the colour from the stripe below lifted up and showing as the first stitch in the row of the colour change. However I am not entirely sure that I like the finish with the slipped stitch at the end of the row immediately followed by the colour change - the edge seems to look looser than I would like. The other edge is fine though, and the rolling of the slipped stitch does hide the stranded yarn quite perfectly.

When I come to work the Noro striped scarf myself, I shall do some experimenting. This one however, was worked slip 1 purlwise, (p1, k1) repeat to end of row - then slip 1 purlwise, take yarn between needles to the back, (k1, p1) repeat across. If that makes any sort of sense.

Today we have guests for lunch, so I will be busy. I should be able to get some more mitres done this evening though. If I finish the fourth round today, and the fifth round tomorrow, then I can work the seams and the neckband on Monday - and Benedikta will be finished before the end of the year. Well, maybe.

As I remember saying before - this isn't impossible, just unlikely. Still, you never know....

1 comment:

Queen of the froggers said...

That would be amazing if Benedikta was finished by the end of the year! Its looking great. happy new year to you.x